Matthew J. Muller, ASA
Matthew Muller is a Director in the Denver office.
Muller has been providing his clients analysis and consultation in business valuation, intellectual property, litigation support, and healthcare provider compensation relationships since 2010. His experience includes working with healthcare organizations, attorneys, administrators, providers, developers, consultants, investment bankers, and private equity groups in connection with transactions in the healthcare industry. Many of the transactions he analyzes involve Stark, Anti-Kickback, IRC 501(c)(3), and/or other regulatory implications, which requires analysis of fair market value and the determination of commercial reasonableness.
Mr. Muller is an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation through the American Society of Appraisers, and is President of the Denver Chapter of the American Society of Appraisers. In 2019 he was recognized by the American Society of Appraisers as a “Rising Star” in the industry. He holds a Bachelor of Business Administration from the Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University.
- Business Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Valuation Trends and Considerations: Laboratories, co-authored with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, and Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA, January 8, 2021
- Urgent Care Center Industry in 2020, co-authored with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, September 15, 2020
- Accounting Standards Changes: ASC 842, IFRS 16, and Potential Business Valuation Pitfalls (co-authors Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA and Jordan A. Zoeller, MAcc) FMVantage Point (Web Edition), June 18, 2020
- Specialty Pharmacies: Industry Trends and Valuation Considerations (co-authors Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA and Anusha Patni, MSQAF) FMVantage Point (Web Edition), June 1, 2020
- 2020 Outlook: Telemedicine (co-authors David Y. Lo, CFA, and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA) FMVantage Point (Web Edition), May 28, 2020
- 2020 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys (co-authors Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA, and David Y. Lo, CFA), Spring 2020
- Distressed Hospitals – Transactions and Trends (co-authors Ciara Pocino and Matthew J. Muller, ASA), FMVantage Point (Web Edition), March 30, 2020
- Birth of a Boon: The Rise of Fertility Clinics (co-authors Jordan A. Zoeller, MAcc and Matthew J. Muller, ASA), FMVantage Point (Web Edition), February 6, 2020
- Understanding the Value of a Certificate of Need (co-authors Jordan A. Zoeller, MAcc and Matthew J. Muller, ASA), FMVantage Point (Web Edition), January 30, 2020
- Selling a Medical Practice? Don’t Overlook Your Personal Goodwill (co-authors Giulia Pace, MBA, and Matthew J. Muller, ASA), FMVantage Point (Web Edition), January 16, 2020
- ASC Valuation Multiples, Market Collaboration on the Rise, The ASCA Journal, October 30, 2019
- Current Trends in Hospital Transactions: 2019, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga, ASA) October 9, 2019
- 2019 ASC Benchmarking Survey, Summer 2019
- 2019 ASC Valuation Survey, Spring 2019
- 2018 Valuation Survey Physician-Owned Hospitals (co-author with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA) Fall 2018.
- Recent Trends Affecting the Value of ASCs, ASC Physician Focus, An ASCA Publication (co-author with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA), Vol. 2, No. 2, Summer/Fall 2018.
- Second Opinions Are Not Just for Patients: The Benefits of an Appraisal Review, FMVantage Point (Web edition), October 9, 2018.
- The Importance of Appraisal Review in the Transaction Process, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga) FMVantage Point (Web edition), August 30, 2017.
- 6 Reasons to Hire an Expert to Value Diagnostic Imaging Centers, FMVantage Point (Web edition), August 22, 2017.
- Increasing the Value of an ASC, featured expert, The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, May 2, 2016.
- Mistakes to avoid when acquiring physician practices: Operations and integration, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga) Healthcare Finance News (Web edition), November 5, 2013.
- Mistakes to avoid when acquiring physician practices: Costs and expectations, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga), Healthcare Finance News (Web edition), October 30, 2013.
- 7 Common Reasons for Hospital Transactions (co-author with Nicholas Janiga), Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition). May 16, 2013.
- 2019 ASC Valuation and Transaction Trends, Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (ASCA) 2019 Conference & Expo, Nashville, TN, May 15, 2019
- Telemedicine and Its Impact on Appraisals, (co-presented with Kevin Cassell), American Society of Appraisers – Denver Chapter Meeting, Denver, CO, March 12, 2019.
- Key Thoughts on ASC Valuations, (co-presented with David Walline), Becker’s ASC 24th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 26, 2017.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance, Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation, American Society of Appraisers (June 2015)
APPRAISAL AND PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV401: CEIV Course – Valuation for Financial Reporting (September 2020)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV301: Valuation of Intangible Assets (September 2016)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV204: Advanced Topics in Business Valuation (January 2014)
- Certificate Program in Accounting at Metropolitan State University of Denver (2013)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV203: Business Valuation Case Study (June 2012)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV202: Introduction to Business Valuation Part II (January 2012)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 15-hour course, SE100: Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (“USPAP”) (October 2011)
- American Society of Appraisers’ Ethics Exam (June 2011)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV201: Introduction to Business Valuation Part I (January 2011)
- Level 1 of the Chartered Financial Analyst program (2007)
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Senior Commercial Credit Analyst, PNC Bank
- Commercial Credit Analyst, Bank of America
HealthCare Appraisers Releases 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys – Timely Insight into the Trends and Forces Shaping the ASC Industry
BOCA RATON, Fla., May 6th – HealthCare Appraisers, a leading healthcare valuation and advisory firm with offices nationwide, released its comprehensive 2021 Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. Research from these surveys reveal data...
HealthCare Appraisers' clients, please contact your representative for a complimentary copy of the 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. These surveys have become widely-utilized and valuable industry resources over the years, and we hope you enjoy the...
Authors: Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDFThe imaging market in the United States is estimated to generate more than $100 billion annually with radiology practices and imaging centers accounting for approximately $19 billion...
Author: Kevin P. Cassell, ASA and Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA Download the PDFCompensation plans based solely or predominantly on work relative value unit (“wRVU”) production have commonly been included in the employment agreements of physicians and other providers...
Author: Jamie McIntyre, JD Download the PDFAs government and private payors maintain focus on initiatives to promote and optimize performance-based payment systems, hospitals and health systems have consistently sought to identify new strategies to align themselves...
Featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Partner Luis A. Argueso and Intercept TeleMed President and CEO Diego C. Reino, MD. Tuesday, May 25, 2021 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m EST HealthCare Appraisers and Intercept TeleMed are pleased to deliver a joint webinar demonstrating the...
May 25 | Webinar: Physician Compensation After 2020 Changes to the Stark Law and Antikickback Statute Regulations: FMV, Commercial Reasonableness, and Volume or Value Standards
A Strafford webinar featuring HealthCare Appraiser's Partner Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH. A 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A. Tuesday, May 25, 2021 1:00pm-2:30pm EDT, 10:00am-11:30am PDT This CLE webinar will guide healthcare counsel and compliance...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud sponsor for the 2021 Tennessee Bar Association Annual Convention. Full-Access Registration for the TBA Annual Convention includes in-person access to all major convention events and programs as well as access to additional virtual...
Jun 16 | Webinar: Service Line Co-Management: The Ultimate Sustainable PSA? Creating Legal, Effective, and Lasting Alignment
A 90-minute Strafford CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A featuring HealthCare Appraiser's Director, Jamie McIntyre, JD. Wednesday, June 16, 2021 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. EDTThis CLE webinar will assist hospital and physician group counsel to optimize service line...