Matthew J. Muller, ASA
Matthew Muller is a Director in the Denver office.
Muller has been providing his clients analysis and consultation in business valuation, intellectual property, litigation support, and healthcare provider compensation relationships since 2010. His experience includes working with healthcare organizations, attorneys, administrators, providers, developers, consultants, investment bankers, and private equity groups in connection with transactions in the healthcare industry. Many of the transactions he analyzes involve Stark, Anti-Kickback, IRC 501(c)(3), and/or other regulatory implications, which requires analysis of fair market value and the determination of commercial reasonableness.
Muller is an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation through the American Society of Appraisers, and is Vice President of the Denver Chapter of the American Society of Appraisers. He holds a Bachelor of Business Administration from the Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University.
- Business Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Current Trends in Hospital Transactions: 2019, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga, ASA) October 9, 2019
- 2019 ASC Valuation Survey, Spring 2019
- 2018 Valuation Survey Physician-Owned Hospitals (co-author with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA) Fall 2018.
- Recent Trends Affecting the Value of ASCs, ASC Physician Focus, An ASCA Publication (co-author with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA), Vol. 2, No. 2, Summer/Fall 2018.
- Second Opinions Are Not Just for Patients: The Benefits of an Appraisal Review, FMVantage Point (Web edition), October 9, 2018.
- Recent Trends Affecting the Value of ASCs, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga), ASC Physician Focus, Summer/Fall 2018, Vol. 2, No. 2.
- The Importance of Appraisal Review in the Transaction Process, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga) FMVantage Point (Web edition), August 30, 2017.
- 6 Reasons to Hire an Expert to Value Diagnostic Imaging Centers, FMVantage Point (Web edition), August 22, 2017.
- Increasing the Value of an ASC, featured expert, The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, May 2, 2016.
- Mistakes to avoid when acquiring physician practices: Operations and integration, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga) Healthcare Finance News (Web edition), November 5, 2013.
- Mistakes to avoid when acquiring physician practices: Costs and expectations, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga), Healthcare Finance News (Web edition), October 30, 2013.
- 7 Common Reasons for Hospital Transactions (co-author with Nicholas Janiga), Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition). May 16, 2013.
- 2019 ASC Valuation and Transaction Trends, Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (ASCA) 2019 Conference & Expo, Nashville, TN, May 15, 2019
- Telemedicine and Its Impact on Appraisals, (co-presented with Kevin Cassell), American Society of Appraisers – Denver Chapter Meeting, Denver, CO, March 12, 2019.
- Key Thoughts on ASC Valuations, (co-presented with David Walline), Becker’s ASC 24th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 26, 2017.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance, Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation, American Society of Appraisers (June 2015)
APPRAISAL AND PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV301: Valuation of Intangible Assets (September 2016)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV204: Advanced Topics in Business Valuation (January 2014)
- Certificate Program in Accounting at Metropolitan State University of Denver (2013)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV203: Business Valuation Case Study (June 2012)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV202: Introduction to Business Valuation Part II (January 2012)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 15-hour course, SE100: Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (“USPAP”) (October 2011)
- American Society of Appraisers’ Ethics Exam (June 2011)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV201: Introduction to Business Valuation Part I (January 2011)
- Level 1 of the Chartered Financial Analyst program (2007)
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Senior Commercial Credit Analyst, PNC Bank
- Commercial Credit Analyst, Bank of America
Author: Berta Narohna and Adam S. Polsky, MBA, CVA Download the PDFOn-call coverage for hospital emergency departments and unassigned inpatients has historically been provided mostly or exclusively by physicians. Increasingly, call coverage now involves use of...
Author: Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH and Jamie McIntyre, JD Originally published by the American Health Lawyers Association in the October 2019 Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law. ABSTRACT: In 21st century health care, the nature and terms of contracts...
Author: Robert Kurtz with Commentary from Matthew J. Muller, ASA. Published by The ASCA Journal October 2019. The ASC industry is a hotbed of transaction activity. That activity is helping to drive up the value of facilities and likely spurring the development...
Authors: Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Kristina Kheyfets and David W. Sands, CVA Download the PDF A recent ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit may put new focus on the importance of documenting fair market value (“FMV”) in transactions between...
Authors: C.J. Laird, MEd and Brandon J. Billeaudeau, MPA Download the PDF On October 9, 2019, the Department of Health and Human Services (“HHS”) issued preliminary proposed changes to the Physician Self-Referral Law (“Stark Law”) and the Federal Anti-Kickback...
November 14 | Narrowing the Rural Health Disparity Gap: Success in Using ACOs and Integrated Care Models
Time: 2:00-3:30 PM Eastern (90 minutes)Format: Live WebinarTopic: Narrowing the Rural Health Disparity Gap: Success in Using ACO’s and Integrated Care Models Featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Partner Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH. In the third and final webinar in the...
HEALTHCARE APPRAISERS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE AT: AHLA Fundamentals of Health Law Forum – November 17-19, Chicago, IL Presenting: Chip Hutzler, PartnerPresentation Title: Fundamentals of Health Care Valuation for Lawyers The AHLA Fundamentals of Health Law...
HEALTHCARE APPRAISERS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE AT: ABA 17th Annual Washington Health Law Summit – December 9-10, Washington, DC Presenting: Chip Hutzler, PartnerPresentation Title: All Things Stark in 2019 Whether you are in-house counsel, in private practice, a...