Matthew J. Muller, ASA
Matthew Muller is a Director in the Denver office.
Muller has been providing his clients analysis and consultation in business valuation, intellectual property, litigation support, and healthcare provider compensation relationships since 2010. His experience includes working with healthcare organizations, attorneys, administrators, providers, developers, consultants, investment bankers, and private equity groups in connection with transactions in the healthcare industry. Many of the transactions he analyzes involve Stark, Anti-Kickback, IRC 501(c)(3), and/or other regulatory implications, which requires analysis of fair market value and the determination of commercial reasonableness.
Mr. Muller is an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation through the American Society of Appraisers, and is Vice President of the Denver Chapter of the American Society of Appraisers. In 2019 he was recognized by the American Society of Appraisers as a “Rising Star” in the industry. He holds a Bachelor of Business Administration from the Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University.
- Business Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- ASC Valuation Multiples, Market Collaboration on the Rise, The ASCA Journal, October 30, 2019
- Current Trends in Hospital Transactions: 2019, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga, ASA) October 9, 2019
- 2019 ASC Benchmarking Survey, Summer 2019
- 2019 ASC Valuation Survey, Spring 2019
- 2018 Valuation Survey Physician-Owned Hospitals (co-author with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA) Fall 2018.
- Recent Trends Affecting the Value of ASCs, ASC Physician Focus, An ASCA Publication (co-author with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA), Vol. 2, No. 2, Summer/Fall 2018.
- Second Opinions Are Not Just for Patients: The Benefits of an Appraisal Review, FMVantage Point (Web edition), October 9, 2018.
- The Importance of Appraisal Review in the Transaction Process, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga) FMVantage Point (Web edition), August 30, 2017.
- 6 Reasons to Hire an Expert to Value Diagnostic Imaging Centers, FMVantage Point (Web edition), August 22, 2017.
- Increasing the Value of an ASC, featured expert, The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, May 2, 2016.
- Mistakes to avoid when acquiring physician practices: Operations and integration, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga) Healthcare Finance News (Web edition), November 5, 2013.
- Mistakes to avoid when acquiring physician practices: Costs and expectations, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga), Healthcare Finance News (Web edition), October 30, 2013.
- 7 Common Reasons for Hospital Transactions (co-author with Nicholas Janiga), Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition). May 16, 2013.
- 2019 ASC Valuation and Transaction Trends, Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (ASCA) 2019 Conference & Expo, Nashville, TN, May 15, 2019
- Telemedicine and Its Impact on Appraisals, (co-presented with Kevin Cassell), American Society of Appraisers – Denver Chapter Meeting, Denver, CO, March 12, 2019.
- Key Thoughts on ASC Valuations, (co-presented with David Walline), Becker’s ASC 24th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 26, 2017.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance, Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation, American Society of Appraisers (June 2015)
APPRAISAL AND PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV301: Valuation of Intangible Assets (September 2016)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV204: Advanced Topics in Business Valuation (January 2014)
- Certificate Program in Accounting at Metropolitan State University of Denver (2013)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV203: Business Valuation Case Study (June 2012)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV202: Introduction to Business Valuation Part II (January 2012)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 15-hour course, SE100: Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (“USPAP”) (October 2011)
- American Society of Appraisers’ Ethics Exam (June 2011)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV201: Introduction to Business Valuation Part I (January 2011)
- Level 1 of the Chartered Financial Analyst program (2007)
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Senior Commercial Credit Analyst, PNC Bank
- Commercial Credit Analyst, Bank of America
Authors: Matthew J. Muller, ASA, Giulia Pace, MBA, and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDFAcquisition activity involving physician practices has been occurring at a robust pace for many years. A February 2019 presentation by the Physicians Advocacy Institute...
BOCA RATON, Fla., Jan. 8, 2020 – HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., a premier, national healthcare valuation and advisory firm, announced its most recent professional staff promotions effective January 2020. “On behalf of HealthCare Appraisers, we congratulate these five...
BOCA RATON, Fla., Jan. 7, 2020 – HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., a premier, national healthcare valuation and advisory firm, named Kevin Obletz, JD as a new partner in the organization. “On behalf of HealthCare Appraisers, we congratulate Kevin and welcome him to the...
Authors: David W. Sands, CVA and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA Download the PDF On October 9, 2019, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Office of Inspector General (OIG) released new Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS) proposed rules that...
Author: Berta Narohna and Adam S. Polsky, MBA, CVA Download the PDFOn-call coverage for hospital emergency departments and unassigned inpatients has historically been provided mostly or exclusively by physicians. Increasingly, call coverage now involves use of...
Jan 23 | Webinar: Structuring Healthcare Management Arrangements: Corporate Practice of Medicine, Regulatory Compliance
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A featuring HealthCare Appraisers’ Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA. Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:00pm-2:30pm EST, 10:00am-11:30am PST To register or learn more, please visit the Strafford website:...
HEALTHCARE APPRAISERS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE AT: AHLA Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute – February 10-12, Phoenix, AZ Co-Presenter: Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH, Partner Topic: Fair Market Value in Health Care–The Seventh Annual Year in Review: A Whole New...
HEALTHCARE APPRAISERS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE AT: ELFA Equipment Management Conference - Booth #6 – February 23-25, Orlando, FL ELFA has been serving equipment management professionals for over a quarter of a century. GREAT SESSIONS that bring you up-to-date...
HEALTHCARE APPRAISERS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE AT: PBI Health Law Institute – March 11-12, Philadelphia, PA The event of the year for every health law professional. Mark your calendar for the Health Law Institute 2020. The Institute will provide an update on...