Kevin Obletz, JD, CVA
Kevin Obletz is a Partner in the Boca Raton office.
Obletz’s practice at HealthCare Appraisers focuses on valuation and analysis of healthcare provider compensation arrangements. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, he served as associate general counsel in the regional office of an international sports-marketing firm, focusing on representational contract negotiation and drafting. More recently, he worked for a civil litigation practice at a boutique civil litigation firm.
Obletz is a member of the Florida Bar. He received a Juris Doctor from the University of Miami School of Law and holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from Florida Atlantic University, where he graduated magna cum laude.
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Avoiding Red Flags in Medical Directorships – A Valuator’s Guide, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, published by the American Association of Provider Compensation Professionals, August 2021
- OIG Advisory Opinion: Will Clarification on Group Practice Definition Create Additional Opportunities for Physician Investors?, co-authored with Alyse Bentz, JD, MPH, August 30, 2021
- The Push for Supervision Flexibility for Cardiac Rehabilitation (“REHAB”), co-authored with Erica Jacobovits, JD, August 18, 2021
- Shortcomings of wRVU-Based Compensation Models: Lessons Learned in 2020, co-authored with Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA, April 23, 2021
- Mandated Hospital Disclosure of Negotiated Rates and Its Potential Impact on Fair Market Value (FMV) Analyses – Part Two, co-authored with Erica Jacobovits, JD, April 5, 2021
- The FMV Impact on Physician Compensation: Physicians Utilizing Advance Practice Professionals in Global Surgery Settings, co-authored with Barbara Landy, MBA, MHS, FACHE, NHA, February 9, 2021
- Mandated Hospital Disclosure of Negotiated Rates and Its Potential Impact on Fair Market Value (FMV) Analyses, co-authored with Erica Jacobovits, JD, February 3, 2021
- COVID-19 FMV Considerations Amongst Waivers, co-authored with Erica Jacobovits, JD, August 20, 2020
- Hospice Tenancy and Inpatient Services Arrangements – Opportunities and Risks, co-authored with Alyse Bentz, JD, MPH, August 18, 2020
- Combating Coronavirus (COVID-19): Novel Solutions to the Growing Physician Shortage Crisis – Part Two (co-authors Alyse Bentz, JD, MPH and Erica Jacobovits, JD), FMVantage Point, May 13, 2020
- Combating Coronavirus (COVID-19): Novel Solutions to the Growing Physician Shortage Crisis (co-authors Alyse Bentz, JD, MPH and Erica Jacobovits, JD), FMVantage Point, April 16, 2020
- Webinar – Structuring and Managing Oncology Services Lines: Regulatory Challenges, Physician Employment, and More, co-presented with Daryl Johnson, MAcc, CVA, Managing Partner, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., and Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH, Director, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Strafford Webinar, January 24, 2018.
- Presentation – Issues and Update – Valuing Hospital/Physician Transactions, co-presented with Daryl Johnson, MAcc, CVA, Managing Partner, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Hall Render Practical Health Retreat 2015, Marco Island, FL, February 28, 2015.
- University of Miami School of Law | Juris Doctor
- Florida Atlantic University | Bachelor of Science, Economics (magna cum laude)
- Member of the State Bar: Florida
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Florida Bar, Health Law Section
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Law Office of Alan C. Gold, P.A. | Contract Attorney
- Lagardere Unlimited, Miami Beach Office | Associate General Counsel and Client Manager
Authors: Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Kevin Obletz, JD, CVAOriginally published by the American Association of Provider Compensation Professionals. "The cornerstones of regulatory compliance, the concepts of commercial reasonableness and fair market value (“FMV”) are...
BOCA RATON, Fla., Sept. 1, 2021 – Healthcare Appraisers, Inc. has appointed a new Women’s Leadership Council. The council will be working on several initiatives with other leaders in the company to advance dialogue about issues impacting equity, inclusion, and...
BOCA RATON, Fla., August 30, 2021 – Andrea Ferrari, JD, MPH, has been appointed Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer for Healthcare Appraisers, Inc. In this position, Ms. Ferrari will lead Healthcare Appraisers’ diversity, equity and inclusion strategies....
OIG Advisory Opinion: Will Clarification on Group Practice Definition Create Additional Opportunities for Physician Investors?
Authors: Alyse Bentz, JD, MPH and Kevin Obletz, J.D., CVA Download the PDFA recent Advisory Opinion (“AO”) offers clarification on the group practice definition for purposes of Section 1877(h)(4) of the Social Security Act and 42 CFR §411.352 (collectively, the...
Author: David W. Sands, CVA Download the PDFThe Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ (CMS) Proposed Rule for the 2022 Physician Fee Schedule (as of July 2021) includes updates to the Open Payments Program to require additional information with respect to the...
HealthCare Appraisers is the Exclusive Platinum Sponsor of both the virtual and in-person events. This important program brings together legal counsel, compliance officers, and government representatives for an invaluable learning and networking opportunity. The...
Sept 27 | Webinar: Care Coordination, Clinical Integration, Group Practices and Research, Oh, My: Designing Healthcare Provider Incentives After COVID and New Stark Law and AKS Final Rules
A Strafford webinar featuring Healthcare Appraisers' Partner Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH. A live 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A. Date: Monday, September 27, 2021Time: 1:00pm-2:30pm EDT, 10:00am-11:30am PDT Overview: This CLE webinar will guide...
Healthcare Appraisers will be exhibiting at booth #231. EXPERIENCE EDUCATION, INNOVATION AND CONNECTION TO DRIVE EXCELLENCE. You won't want to miss the impressive line-up of educational sessions chock-full of tools, case studies and actionable takeaways. The line-up...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud Bronze Sponsor of this event. BRINGING THE FUTURE OF MEDICAL REAL ESTATE INTO FOCUS These unprecedented times have intensified change in the rapidly evolving healthcare real estate market, and they require a renewed focus on the...