Jim Hills, CPA/ABV
Address: 425 N. Martingale Road | Suite 1200 Schaumburg, IL 60173
Phone: (847) 756-6150
Fax: (877) 443-2525
Jim Hills is a Partner in the Chicago office.
Hills’ practice focuses on fair market valuation analysis of healthcare provider compensation relationships, with a concentration in physician employment and professional services arrangements. Other practice areas include medical director/thought leader compensation, hospital-based specialty collections guarantees and subsidies, compensated call coverage services, service and management agreements, litigation support, as well as retrospective analyses in response to investigative demands or internal compliance reviews related to potential self-disclosure.
Hills has over 31 years of corporate finance, operations, business development and public accounting experience, with more than 26 years of experience in the healthcare sector. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, he served in various capacities, including Director of Finance & Administration for a privately held, real estate developer; Vice President of Finance & Administration for a privately held, home-health provider; Vice President of Finance and Vice President of Development for a privately held, national neuro-musculoskeletal physician management company; Director of Mergers and Acquisition for a publicly traded, physician practice management company; and Manager for a national public accounting firm. Hills’ broad business experience includes structuring, negotiating and financing acquisition transactions, acquisition due diligence, business development, treasury management, risk management, initial public offerings, bank financing, financial reporting, contract negotiation, accounting, finance, human resources and operations.
Hills received a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from the Fisher School of Accounting at the University of Florida. He is a certified public accountant (CPA)* and is a member of the Illinois CPA Society and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). He holds the Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV) certification from the AICPA.
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Panel Discussion Member – Key Valuation Issues in Healthcare, with Jim Carr, ASA, Partner, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Greg Koonsman, Senior Managing Director & Founder, VMG Health, Jonathan Helm, Managing Director, VMG Health, Moderated by Scott Becker, Esq., Partner, McGuireWoods, Becker’s Hospital Review 5th Annual CEO & CFO Roundtable, Chicago, IL November 9, 2016.
- Co-presenter with Michael Blau, JD, Partner, Foley & Lardner, LLP – Going Hospital-Based: Getting the Deal Done – Transactional Issues, 2012 Cancer Center Business Summit, Fort Worth, TX, October 12, 2012.
- Co-Presenter with Alan H. Einhorn, JD, Of Counsel, Foley & Lardner LLP – Buying & Selling Oncology Practices, Cancer Center Business Summit 2011, Chicago, IL, October 14, 2011.
- University of Florida, Fisher School of Accounting, Gainesville, FL, Bachelor of Accountancy
- Certified Public Accountant – licensed in Illinois
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Illinois CPA Society (ICPAS)
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys (IAHA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Kennedy Homes, Deerfield Beach, FL, Director of Finance and Administration
- OMNI Home Care, Inc., Coral Springs, FL, Vice President of Finance and Administration
- OMNA Medical Partners, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, Vice President of Finance, Vice President of Development (formerly a neuro-musculoskeletal physician management company)
- InPhyNet Medical Management, Inc., Plantation, FL, Director of Mergers and Acquisition (formerly a publicly traded physician practice management company)
- Ernst & Young, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Audit Manager
Authors: Jordan A. Zoeller, MAcc, Matthew J. Muller, ASA, and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDF THE FERTILITY INDUSTRY At HealthCare Appraisers, we are observing a growing interest in the fertility market. Numerous factors, many of which are unique to this...
Authors: Jordan A. Zoeller, MAcc, Matthew J. Muller, ASA, and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDF OVERVIEW & HISTORY A Certificate of Need (“CON”) is a formal permit issued by a state department of health or other state regulatory agency and grants a company...
Authors: Matthew J. Muller, ASA, Giulia Pace, MBA, and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDFAcquisition activity involving physician practices has been occurring at a robust pace for many years. A February 2019 presentation by the Physicians Advocacy Institute...
BOCA RATON, Fla., Jan. 8, 2020 – HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., a premier, national healthcare valuation and advisory firm, announced its most recent professional staff promotions effective January 2020. “On behalf of HealthCare Appraisers, we congratulate these five...
BOCA RATON, Fla., Jan. 7, 2020 – HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., a premier, national healthcare valuation and advisory firm, named Kevin Obletz, JD as a new partner in the organization. “On behalf of HealthCare Appraisers, we congratulate Kevin and welcome him to the...
HEALTHCARE APPRAISERS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE AT: ELFA Equipment Management Conference - Booth #6 – February 23-25, Orlando, FL ELFA has been serving equipment management professionals for over a quarter of a century. GREAT SESSIONS that bring you up-to-date...
HEALTHCARE APPRAISERS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE AT: PBI Health Law Institute – March 11-12, Philadelphia, PA The event of the year for every health law professional. Mark your calendar for the Health Law Institute 2020. The Institute will provide an update on...
HEALTHCARE APPRAISERS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE AT: AMGA 2020 Annual Conference - Booth #329 – March 25-28, San Diego, CA This conference is designed for healthcare leaders of group practices, integrated delivery systems, ACOs, academic/faculty practices, clinically...