Jim Hills, CPA/ABV
Jim Hills is a Partner in the Chicago office.
Hills’ practice focuses on fair market valuation analysis of healthcare provider compensation relationships, with a concentration in physician employment and professional services arrangements. Other practice areas include medical director/thought leader compensation, hospital-based specialty collections guarantees and subsidies, compensated call coverage services, service and management agreements, litigation support, as well as retrospective analyses in response to investigative demands or internal compliance reviews related to potential self-disclosure.
Hills has over 31 years of corporate finance, operations, business development and public accounting experience, with more than 26 years of experience in the healthcare sector. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, he served in various capacities, including Director of Finance & Administration for a privately held, real estate developer; Vice President of Finance & Administration for a privately held, home-health provider; Vice President of Finance and Vice President of Development for a privately held, national neuro-musculoskeletal physician management company; Director of Mergers and Acquisition for a publicly traded, physician practice management company; and Manager for a national public accounting firm. Hills’ broad business experience includes structuring, negotiating and financing acquisition transactions, acquisition due diligence, business development, treasury management, risk management, initial public offerings, bank financing, financial reporting, contract negotiation, accounting, finance, human resources and operations.
Hills received a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from the Fisher School of Accounting at the University of Florida. He is a certified public accountant (CPA)* and is a member of the Illinois CPA Society and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). He holds the Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV) certification from the AICPA.
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Panel Discussion Member – Key Valuation Issues in Healthcare, with Jim Carr, ASA, Partner, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Greg Koonsman, Senior Managing Director & Founder, VMG Health, Jonathan Helm, Managing Director, VMG Health, Moderated by Scott Becker, Esq., Partner, McGuireWoods, Becker’s Hospital Review 5th Annual CEO & CFO Roundtable, Chicago, IL November 9, 2016.
- Co-presenter with Michael Blau, JD, Partner, Foley & Lardner, LLP – Going Hospital-Based: Getting the Deal Done – Transactional Issues, 2012 Cancer Center Business Summit, Fort Worth, TX, October 12, 2012.
- Co-Presenter with Alan H. Einhorn, JD, Of Counsel, Foley & Lardner LLP – Buying & Selling Oncology Practices, Cancer Center Business Summit 2011, Chicago, IL, October 14, 2011.
- University of Florida, Fisher School of Accounting, Gainesville, FL, Bachelor of Accountancy
- Certified Public Accountant – licensed in Illinois
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Illinois CPA Society (ICPAS)
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys (IAHA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Kennedy Homes, Deerfield Beach, FL, Director of Finance and Administration
- OMNI Home Care, Inc., Coral Springs, FL, Vice President of Finance and Administration
- OMNA Medical Partners, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, Vice President of Finance, Vice President of Development (formerly a neuro-musculoskeletal physician management company)
- InPhyNet Medical Management, Inc., Plantation, FL, Director of Mergers and Acquisition (formerly a publicly traded physician practice management company)
- Ernst & Young, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Audit Manager
Authors: Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, Matthew J. Muller, ASA, and Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA Download the PDF As with all sectors of healthcare, the lab industry has been dramatically impacted by COVID-19. In addition to COVID-19, the industry is dealing with reimbursement...
HealthCare Appraisers, Inc. Releases New Publication – Medical Office Fundamentals Report: 2020 Year-End Review
BOCA RATON, Fla., Dec. 10th – HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., a leading healthcare valuation and advisory firm with offices nationwide, has released its new publication, the Medical Office Fundamentals Report: 2020 Year-End Review. This publication explores and...
HealthCare Appraisers is pleased to present its Medical Office Fundamentals Report: 2020 Year-End Review. This report is the product of discussions with numerous lenders, real estate brokers, investment bankers and various other medical office entities, on subjects...
THE LONG-AWAITED NEW STARK AND ANTIKICKBACK RULES: New Definitions for Commercially Reasonable, Fair Market Value and Taking into Account Volume or Value of Referrals
Authors: Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH Download the PDFWHAT DO THEY MEAN FOR PHYSICIAN COMPENSATION? On November 20, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released its long-awaited new Physician Self-Referral Law (Stark Law) Final Rule, culminating its...
Authors: Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA Download the PDF The 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) final rule includes recommendations by the Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC) to increase the work relative value units (wRVUs) for common evaluation and...
Healthcare Appraisers' Partner Andrea, M. Ferrari, JD, MPH, will be speaking at the AHLA Virtual Physicians and Hospitals Law Insitute Friday, February 12th from 12:15 - 1:15 PM EST. Fair Market Value in Health Care–The Eighth Annual Year in Review: A New Stark-ly...