Jim Hills, CPA/ABV
Jim Hills is a Partner in the Chicago office.
Hills’ practice focuses on fair market valuation analysis of healthcare provider compensation relationships, with a concentration in physician employment and professional services arrangements. Other practice areas include medical director/thought leader compensation, hospital-based specialty collections guarantees and subsidies, compensated call coverage services, service and management agreements, litigation support, as well as retrospective analyses in response to investigative demands or internal compliance reviews related to potential self-disclosure.
Mr. Hills has more than 30 years of corporate finance, operations, business development and public accounting experience, with more than 25 years of experience in the healthcare sector. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, he served in various capacities, including Director of Finance & Administration for a privately held, real estate developer; Vice President of Finance & Administration for a privately held, home-health provider; Vice President of Finance and Vice President of Development for a privately held, national neuro-musculoskeletal physician management company; Director of Mergers and Acquisition for a publicly traded, physician practice management company; and Manager for a national public accounting firm. Hills’ broad business experience includes structuring, negotiating and financing acquisition transactions, acquisition due diligence, business development, treasury management, risk management, initial public offerings, bank financing, financial reporting, contract negotiation, accounting, finance, human resources and operations.
Hills received a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from the Fisher School of Accounting at the University of Florida. He is a certified public accountant (CPA)* and is a member of the Illinois CPA Society and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). He holds the Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV) certification from the AICPA.
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University of Florida, Fisher School of Accounting, Gainesville, FL, Bachelor of Accountancy
- Certified Public Accountant – licensed in Illinois
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Illinois CPA Society (ICPAS)
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys (IAHA)
- American Association of Provider Compensation Professionals (AAPCP)
- Medical Group Management Association (MGMA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Kennedy Homes, Deerfield Beach, FL, Director of Finance and Administration
- OMNI Home Care, Inc., Coral Springs, FL, Vice President of Finance and Administration
- OMNA Medical Partners, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, Vice President of Finance, Vice President of Development (formerly a neuro-musculoskeletal physician management company)
- InPhyNet Medical Management, Inc., Plantation, FL, Director of Mergers and Acquisition (formerly a publicly traded physician practice management company)
- Ernst & Young, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Audit Manager
Recent Healthcare Fraud and Abuse Enforcement Actions Highlight the Importance of the Valuator’s Role
Authors: Erica Jacobovits, JD and Kevin Obletz, JD, CVA Download the PDF MODERNIZING MEDICINE On November 1, 2022, the U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”) filed a complaint, intervening in a 2017 whistleblower lawsuit, against a South Florida electronic health...
Authors: Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA, Matthew J. Muller, ASA and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDF HOSPITAL-BASED CARE Physician practice acquisition activity has been robust for many years, resulting in a change in the composition of physician employment and...
Author: Matthew J. Milliron, CVA, MBA Download the PDFORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF PROVIDER COMPENSATION PROFESSIONALS Although commercial reasonableness has been a key concept in healthcare regulation since 1998, it was not until 2021 that it...
Authors: Andrew Worthington and James R. Hills, CPA/ABV Download the PDFORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF PROVIDER COMPENSATION PROFESSIONALS HOSPITAL-BASED CARE Due to requirements set forth by the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor ACT...
Authors: Erica Jacobovitz, JD, and Kevin Obletz, JD, CVA Download the PDFThe Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) has long provided a uniform, consistent schedule for determining the payment rates for individual physician services. The MPFS is regularly updated by...
March 4-6, 2023 | San Antonio, TX HealthCare Appraisers will be exhibiting at booth #1306. REGISTRATION For more information and registration, please visit the ATA website.
March 9-10, 2023 | Plymouth, MI HealthCare Appraisers is proud to serve as a Silver Sponsor, and Senior Associate C.J. Laird, MEd will be co-presenting Stark Law Update and Practical Implications. Keep Pace with Critical Change in Health Care Law Join us in person for...