Jeffrey A. Piehl, MAI
Jeff Piehl is a Partner in the Denver office.
Piehl leads the Real Estate Valuation Service Line at HealthCare Appraisers. A 20-year real estate veteran, he has been active in the valuation and consultation of healthcare-related real estate since 1995, including the valuation and consultation of over 5,000 medical office and healthcare related properties on a national basis. He also performs national Fair Market Value (“FMV”) work for numerous national and regional healthcare systems, with facilities located in both urban and rural markets. In addition, Piehl is also active with healthcare systems and property owners regarding asset selection for acquisitions/dispositions as well as site selection for new medical office placement and rental rate disputes.
Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, Piehl served as Executive Director at Cushman & Wakefield of Colorado’s Valuation and Advisory Group. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the University of Colorado and is a Certified General Real Estate Appraiser in 17 states. Piehl is a Designated Member of the Appraisal Institute.
- Real Estate Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- 2022 Medical Office Fundamentals Outlook, May 3, 2022
- Medical Office Fundamentals Report: 2020 Year-End Review, December 10, 2020
- The Role of Ambulatory Surgery Centers in the COVID-19 Pandemic (co-authors Jeffrey Doyle, ASA, Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, and Luis A. Argueso), FMVantage Point (Web Edition), April 3, 2020
- Benefits and Challenges of the Stark Exception for Timeshare Arrangements, co-authored with Lisa Luetkemeyer, Mercy Health, Hospitals & Health Systems RX, (a publication of the AHLA Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group), Vol. 19, No. 1, February 2017.
- Raising the ASC Value Ceiling Through Real Estate, Executive Brief, Becker’s ASC Review, December 2016.
- University of Colorado, Boulder, CO | Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Designated Member, Appraisal Institute (MAI)
- Certified General Real Estate Appraiser in the following states:
- Arizona (No. 32031)
- Arkansas (No. CG4235)
- California (No. 3002277)
- Colorado (No. CG40033494)
- Illinois (No. 553.001352)
- Indiana (No. CG40300374)
- Kansas (No. G-3108)
- Kentucky (No. 004603)
- Louisiana (No. G4086)
- Michigan (No. 1201069931)
- Missouri (No. 2003011131)
- Nevada (No. A.0207385-CG)
- Ohio (No. 2019000583)
- Oklahoma (No. I3214CGA)
- Tennessee (No. 00004966)
- Texas (No. TX-1337039-G)
- Virginia (No. 4001017459)
- Appraisal Institute (MAI)
- American Health Law Association (AHLA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Executive Director-Senior Housing/Healthcare | Cushman & Wakefield of Colorado, Inc.
Recent Healthcare Fraud and Abuse Enforcement Actions Highlight the Importance of the Valuator’s Role
Authors: Erica Jacobovits, JD and Kevin Obletz, JD, CVA Download the PDF MODERNIZING MEDICINE On November 1, 2022, the U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”) filed a complaint, intervening in a 2017 whistleblower lawsuit, against a South Florida electronic health...
Authors: Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA, Matthew J. Muller, ASA and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDF HOSPITAL-BASED CARE Physician practice acquisition activity has been robust for many years, resulting in a change in the composition of physician employment and...
Author: Matthew J. Milliron, CVA, MBA Download the PDFORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF PROVIDER COMPENSATION PROFESSIONALS Although commercial reasonableness has been a key concept in healthcare regulation since 1998, it was not until 2021 that it...
Authors: Andrew Worthington and James R. Hills, CPA/ABV Download the PDFORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF PROVIDER COMPENSATION PROFESSIONALS HOSPITAL-BASED CARE Due to requirements set forth by the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor ACT...
Authors: Erica Jacobovitz, JD, and Kevin Obletz, JD, CVA Download the PDFThe Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) has long provided a uniform, consistent schedule for determining the payment rates for individual physician services. The MPFS is regularly updated by...
March 4-6, 2023 | San Antonio, TX HealthCare Appraisers will be exhibiting at booth #1306. REGISTRATION For more information and registration, please visit the ATA website.
March 9-10, 2023 | Plymouth, MI HealthCare Appraisers is proud to serve as a Silver Sponsor, and Senior Associate C.J. Laird, MEd will be co-presenting Stark Law Update and Practical Implications. Keep Pace with Critical Change in Health Care Law Join us in person for...
April 26-28, 2023 | Chicago, IL HealthCare Appraisers is proud to serve as a Bronze Sponsor and exhibitor. Medical real estate has proven itself as a resilient, ever-growing asset class. Healthcare real estate is moving at full tilt, with the decentralization of...