Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA
Fred Lara is a Partner in the Philadelphia office.
Lara’s practice focuses on compensation valuation for compliance with Federal and State regulations. His specialized expertise encompasses several compensation valuation practice areas including: management – burn care, wound care, sleep medicine, collections guarantee/subsidies, call coverage, medical director, employment/PSA, MSO, dialysis, lithotripsy, pathology, perfusion and intraoperative monitoring, in addition to life sciences/HCP valuation, not-for-profit executive compensation, and healthcare facility business valuation.
Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, Lara worked for a private equity consulting firm where he was responsible for facilitating capital-raising efforts by providing financial modeling and transaction due diligence functions. Before that he worked for a buy-side M&A and corporate development advisory firm where he was responsible for conducting valuation and on-site due diligence related to physician practice and service company acquisitions. Lara began his career as a Securities Compliance Examiner with the United States Securities and Exchange Commissions.
Lara is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), where he formerly served as the Chair of FMV Affinity Group, a CFA charterholder, an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) and a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA).
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- The Unintended Consequences of Taking the Escalator, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, November 10, 2020
- A Comprehensive Guide to Pathology Arrangements, co-authored with David W. Sands, CVA, August 6, 2020
- Management Services Arrangements – What’s in a Name?, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and David Sands, ASA, July 2020
- Nonprofit Status Challenges, co-authored with Sydney Hilzenrath, CEP, CECP and William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, Feb 12, 2020
- FMV Documentation and Real Estate Compliance – Often Overlooked, but Never Undervalued, co-authored with David W. Sands, CVA and Kristina Kheyfets, October 2019
- On-Call Coverage Compensations & Structures: Know the Options, co-author Adam S. Polsky, MBA, CVA) September 23, 2019
- The Long Arm of the Law – Healthcare Fraud and the Travel Act, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and David W. Sands, CVA, Aug 15, 2019
- Presentation – Healthcare Facilities Valuation, American Society of Appraisers – Philadelphia Chapter, 2019 Business Valuation Seminar, Plymouth Meeting, PA, Friday, April 26, 2019
- Excise Tax on Executive Compensation and How Much You End Up Paying, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Director, and Will Kaufmann, JD, MBA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Insights, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., February 2019.
- Understanding Reasonable Executive Compensation for Nonprofit Organizations, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Director, and Will Kaufmann, JD, MBA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Insights, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., February 2019.
- Webinar – Breathe New Life Into Your Healthcare Valuations, hosted by Business Valuation Resources, co-presented with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, Partner, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., June 13, 2018.
- Valuing Electronic Health Record System (“EHR”) Donation Arrangements, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., November 2016.
- Webinar – Medicare’s New and Clarified Rules: Per Click and Lithotripsy, Why Does FMV Matter, co-presented with Ann Bittinger, Esq., Attorney, The Bittinger Law Firm, and Tizgel High, Esq., VP, Associate General Counsel, LifePoint Health, hosted by the FMV Affinity Group of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), November 2, 2016.
- What to Look for Beyond EBITDA, featured expert, The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, September 16, 2015.
- Presentation – Healthcare Valuation: Fundamentals & Common Pitfalls, Philadelphia Bar Association-Health Law Committee Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, October 10, 2014.
- Webinar – Structuring Healthcare Practice Leasing, PSA and Other Practice Alignment Arrangements, co-presented with Michael Blau, Esq., Partner, Foley & Lardner, LLP, hosted by Strafford Legal Webinars, August 28, 2014.
- Presentation – Straightening Out Your Alignment: An Overview of Hospital/Physician Practice Alignment Transactions, co-presented with John R. Washlick, Esq., Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, Pennsylvania Bar Institute – 20th Annual Health Law Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 13-14, 2014. Chapter D: Straightening Out Your Alignment: An Overview of Hospital/Physician Practice
- Alignment Transactions, co-authored with John R. Washlick, Esq., Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, PC, 20th Health Law Institute Volume 1, March 2014.
- Impact of Ownership Details for Fixed Asset Appraisal, co-authored with Cary C. Kao, ASA, MRICS, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., March 2014.
- 7 Key Components of Employee Leasing Arrangements, featured expert, Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), November 13, 2013
- Expiration of the “Grandfather Provision” for Anatomic Pathology, co-authored with Richard Chasinoff, MBA, MHA, CVA, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Hospitals & Health Systems RX, (a publication of the AHLA Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group), Vol. 15, No. 1, April 2013.
- Webinar – Addressing Fair Market Value in hospital and physician integration, co-presenter with Barry D. Alexander, JD, Partner, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP. Hosted by Health Care Compliance Association, January 30, 2013.
- Hospitals Navigate Fair Market Value Under Stark, contributing expert, Report on Medicare Compliance, Published by Atlantic Information Services, Inc., Washington, DC, Volume 20, Number 29, August 15, 2011.
- AHLA Teleconference – Featured speaker, Fred M. Lara, Healthcare Compensation Valuation: In-Depth Case Studies Highlighting Common Healthcare Compensation Valuation Considerations, March 4, 2008
- AHLA Teleconference – Featured speaker, Fred M. Lara, What Counsel Should Be Alert To During The Valuation Process, December 5, 2007
- Stipends for Stroke Call Create New Pressures, Demands and Neurologists, Fred M. Lara, contributing expert. Neurology Today, April 4, 2006
- Villanova University, BS, Finance (with honors)
- Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA Institute
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA); American Society of Appraisers (2009)
Designation: Business Valuation
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analyst
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts (NACVA)
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- CFA Society of Philadelphia
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- CD Ventures, Berwyn, PA
- Acquisition Management Services, King of Prussia, PA
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Philadelphia, PA
Authors: Jim Carr, ASA, MBA and Andrew Worthington Download the PDF HOSPITAL-BASED CLINICAL COVERAGE ARRANGEMENTS Often, hospitals and health systems do not wish to incur the administrative burden involved in employing the clinical resources needed to cover their...
Authors: Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA Download the PDF Updated February 9, 2021 for the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 The 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) final rule included recommendations by the Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC) to...
The FMV Impact on Physician Compensation: Physicians Utilizing Advance Practice Professionals in Global Surgery Settings
Authors: Barbara Landy, MBA, MHS, FACHE, NHA and Kevin Obletz, JD Download the PDF As the general population continues to outpace the number of practicing physicians in the United States, the way healthcare is delivered will continue to evolve to meet demand. One...
Mandated Hospital Disclosure of Negotiated Rates and Its Potential Impact on Fair Market Value (FMV) Analyses
Authors: Erica Jacobovits, JD, and Kevin Obletz, JD Download the PDF Healthcare spending in the United States has been consistently touted as disproportionately high when juxtaposed with certain healthcare outcome measures, including life expectancy and infant...
Authors: Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, Matthew J. Muller, ASA, and Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA Download the PDF As with all sectors of healthcare, the lab industry has been dramatically impacted by COVID-19. In addition to COVID-19, the industry is dealing with reimbursement...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud sponsor for the 2021 DLA Piper Healthcare Leadership Conference. A roadmap to recovery and reimagining healthcare in a COVID-19 world. DLA Piper’s 2021 Healthcare Leadership Conference – The roadmap to recovery and reimagining...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud sponsor for the 2021 HealthCare General Counsel Virtual Forum. For legal executives in healthcare, the stakes cannot be higher.Managing the legal function of hospitals and healthcare systems has never been easy. And today’s executives...
Healthcare Appraisers' Partner Andrea, M. Ferrari, JD, MPH will be speaking with Michael D. Bossenbroek, Senior Associate General Counsel at Beaumont Health. Looking Back and Looking Ahead at Physician Compensation COVID-19 disrupted health care in unfathomable ways,...
Mar 23 | Webinar: On-Call Coverage – Concepts & Compensation: An overview of call coverage and the variables affecting fair market value
A live webinar hosted by the American Association of Provider Compensation Professionals (AACPC) featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Partner, Adam S. Polsky, MBA, CVA, and Manager, Alex J. Houston, JD, CHC. Tuesday, March 23, 2021 11:00 a.m. EST (allow 60 min on...