Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA
Fred Lara is a Partner in the Philadelphia office.
Lara’s practice focuses on compensation valuation for compliance with Federal and State regulations. His specialized expertise encompasses several compensation valuation practice areas including: management – burn care, wound care, sleep medicine, collections guarantee/subsidies, call coverage, medical director, employment/PSA, MSO, dialysis, lithotripsy, pathology, perfusion and intraoperative monitoring, in addition to life sciences/HCP valuation, not-for-profit executive compensation, and healthcare facility business valuation.
Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, Lara worked for a private equity consulting firm where he was responsible for facilitating capital-raising efforts by providing financial modeling and transaction due diligence functions. Before that he worked for a buy-side mergers and acquisitions, and corporate development advisory firm where he was responsible for conducting valuation and on-site due diligence related to physician practice and service company acquisitions. Lara began his career as a Securities Compliance Examiner with the United States Securities and Exchange Commissions.
Lara is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), where he formerly served as the Chair of FMV Affinity Group, a CFA charterholder, an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) and a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA).
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- The Unintended Consequences of Taking the Escalator, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, November 10, 2020
- A Comprehensive Guide to Pathology Arrangements, co-authored with David W. Sands, CVA, August 6, 2020
- Management Services Arrangements – What’s in a Name?, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and David Sands, ASA, July 2020
- Nonprofit Status Challenges, co-authored with Sydney Hilzenrath, CEP, CECP and William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, Feb 12, 2020
- FMV Documentation and Real Estate Compliance – Often Overlooked, but Never Undervalued, co-authored with David W. Sands, CVA and Kristina Kheyfets, October 2019
- On-Call Coverage Compensations & Structures: Know the Options, co-author Adam S. Polsky, MBA, CVA) September 23, 2019
- The Long Arm of the Law – Healthcare Fraud and the Travel Act, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and David W. Sands, CVA, Aug 15, 2019
- Presentation – Healthcare Facilities Valuation, American Society of Appraisers – Philadelphia Chapter, 2019 Business Valuation Seminar, Plymouth Meeting, PA, Friday, April 26, 2019
- Excise Tax on Executive Compensation and How Much You End Up Paying, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Director, and Will Kaufmann, JD, MBA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Insights, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., February 2019.
- Understanding Reasonable Executive Compensation for Nonprofit Organizations, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Director, and Will Kaufmann, JD, MBA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Insights, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., February 2019.
- Webinar – Breathe New Life Into Your Healthcare Valuations, hosted by Business Valuation Resources, co-presented with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, Partner, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., June 13, 2018.
- Valuing Electronic Health Record System (“EHR”) Donation Arrangements, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., November 2016.
- Webinar – Medicare’s New and Clarified Rules: Per Click and Lithotripsy, Why Does FMV Matter, co-presented with Ann Bittinger, Esq., Attorney, The Bittinger Law Firm, and Tizgel High, Esq., VP, Associate General Counsel, LifePoint Health, hosted by the FMV Affinity Group of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), November 2, 2016.
- What to Look for Beyond EBITDA, featured expert, The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, September 16, 2015.
- Presentation – Healthcare Valuation: Fundamentals & Common Pitfalls, Philadelphia Bar Association-Health Law Committee Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, October 10, 2014.
- Webinar – Structuring Healthcare Practice Leasing, PSA and Other Practice Alignment Arrangements, co-presented with Michael Blau, Esq., Partner, Foley & Lardner, LLP, hosted by Strafford Legal Webinars, August 28, 2014.
- Presentation – Straightening Out Your Alignment: An Overview of Hospital/Physician Practice Alignment Transactions, co-presented with John R. Washlick, Esq., Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, Pennsylvania Bar Institute – 20th Annual Health Law Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 13-14, 2014. Chapter D: Straightening Out Your Alignment: An Overview of Hospital/Physician Practice
- Alignment Transactions, co-authored with John R. Washlick, Esq., Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, PC, 20th Health Law Institute Volume 1, March 2014.
- Impact of Ownership Details for Fixed Asset Appraisal, co-authored with Cary C. Kao, ASA, MRICS, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., March 2014.
- 7 Key Components of Employee Leasing Arrangements, featured expert, Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), November 13, 2013
- Presentation – Healthcare FMV Issues, co-presented with Scott Safriet, MBA, CVA, Partner, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc. Corporate Responsibility: Imagine the Possibilities Conference, hosted by Catholic Healthcare Initiatives, June 3, 2015, Lone Tree (Denver), CO.
- Expiration of the “Grandfather Provision” for Anatomic Pathology, co-authored with Richard Chasinoff, MBA, MHA, CVA, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Hospitals & Health Systems RX, (a publication of the AHLA Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group), Vol. 15, No. 1, April 2013.
- Webinar – Addressing Fair Market Value in hospital and physician integration, co-presenter with Barry D. Alexander, JD, Partner, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP. Hosted by Health Care Compliance Association, January 30, 2013.
- Hospitals Navigate Fair Market Value Under Stark, contributing expert, Report on Medicare Compliance, Published by Atlantic Information Services, Inc., Washington, DC, Volume 20, Number 29, August 15, 2011.
- AHLA Teleconference – Featured speaker, Fred M. Lara, Healthcare Compensation Valuation: In-Depth Case Studies Highlighting Common Healthcare Compensation Valuation Considerations, March 4, 2008
- AHLA Teleconference – Featured speaker, Fred M. Lara, What Counsel Should Be Alert To During The Valuation Process, December 5, 2007
- Stipends for Stroke Call Create New Pressures, Demands and Neurologists, Fred M. Lara, contributing expert. Neurology Today, April 4, 2006
- Villanova University, BS, Finance (with honors)
- Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA Institute
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA); American Society of Appraisers (2009)
Designation: Business Valuation
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analyst
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts (NACVA)
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- CFA Society of Philadelphia
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- CD Ventures, Berwyn, PA
- Acquisition Management Services, King of Prussia, PA
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Philadelphia, PA
HealthCare Appraisers, Inc. Partner Recognized for Excellence – Receives AICPA Forensic and Valuation Services Recognition
BOCA RATON, Fla., Nov. 12, 2020 – Hunter Outcalt, MTX, CPA/ABV, partner with HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., a national healthcare valuation and advisory firm, was recently honored by the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) Standing Ovation Recognition Program, which...
Authors: William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and David. W. Sands, CVA Download the PDF INTRODUCTION Escalator clauses, also referred to as cost-of-living adjustments or annual escalators, are provisions embedded into many service contracts that...
Authors: Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA Download the PDF Published in ASC Focus, The ASCA Journal, October 2020 Issue. Transaction activity remains robust, more HOPDs convert to ASCs and median reported EBITDA multiples continue to increase. HealthCare Appraisers released...
HealthCare Appraisers, Inc. Upgrades Automated FMV Solutions™ – Mobile Use and Other Enhancements Now Available
BOCA RATON, Fla., Oct. 19th – HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., a leading healthcare valuation and advisory firm with offices nationwide, has upgraded its premier automated resource, Automated FMV Solutions™, which provides defensible FMV opinions in minutes. All...
Authors: Giulia F. Pace, MBA, CVA; Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA; and David Y. Lo, CFA Download the PDFThe recent COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the key role of healthcare organizations in helping their communities understand, process and respond to current events. While...
A live webinar featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Partner, Luis A. Argueso and Director, Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA. Wednesday, December 9, 2020 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EDT The 2021 Proposed Rule for the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule has serious implications for...
A 30-minute live demonstration featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Director, Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA. Thursday, January 14, 2021 12:00 p.m. (allow 60 min on calendar) See firsthand how online FMV calculators provide instant FMV guidance for physician recruiters and...