Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA
Fred Lara is a Partner in the Philadelphia office.
Lara’s practice focuses on compensation valuation for compliance with Federal and State regulations. His specialized expertise encompasses several compensation valuation practice areas including: management – burn care, wound care, sleep medicine, collections guarantee/subsidies, call coverage, medical director, employment/PSA, MSO, dialysis, lithotripsy, pathology, perfusion and intraoperative monitoring, in addition to life sciences/HCP valuation, not-for-profit executive compensation, and healthcare facility business valuation.
Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, Lara worked for a private equity consulting firm where he was responsible for facilitating capital-raising efforts by providing financial modeling and transaction due diligence functions. Before that he worked for a buy-side M&A and corporate development advisory firm where he was responsible for conducting valuation and on-site due diligence related to physician practice and service company acquisitions. Lara began his career as a Securities Compliance Examiner with the United States Securities and Exchange Commissions.
Lara is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), where he formerly served as the Chair of FMV Affinity Group, a CFA charterholder, an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) and a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA).
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Avoiding Red Flags in Medical Directorships – A Valuator’s Guide, co-authored with Kevin Obletz, JD, CVA, published by the American Association of Provider Compensation Professionals, August 2021
- A Multi-Specialty ASC is the Subject of Latest OIG Advisory Opinion, May 20, 2021
- The Unintended Consequences of Taking the Escalator, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, November 10, 2020
- A Comprehensive Guide to Pathology Arrangements, co-authored with David W. Sands, CVA, August 6, 2020
- Management Services Arrangements – What’s in a Name?, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and David Sands, ASA, July 2020
- Nonprofit Status Challenges, co-authored with Sydney Hilzenrath, CEP, CECP and William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, Feb 12, 2020
- FMV Documentation and Real Estate Compliance – Often Overlooked, but Never Undervalued, co-authored with David W. Sands, CVA and Kristina Kheyfets, October 2019
- On-Call Coverage Compensations & Structures: Know the Options, co-author Adam S. Polsky, MBA, CVA) September 23, 2019
- The Long Arm of the Law – Healthcare Fraud and the Travel Act, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and David W. Sands, CVA, Aug 15, 2019
- Presentation – Healthcare Facilities Valuation, American Society of Appraisers – Philadelphia Chapter, 2019 Business Valuation Seminar, Plymouth Meeting, PA, Friday, April 26, 2019
- Excise Tax on Executive Compensation and How Much You End Up Paying, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Director, and Will Kaufmann, JD, MBA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Insights, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., February 2019.
- Understanding Reasonable Executive Compensation for Nonprofit Organizations, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Director, and Will Kaufmann, JD, MBA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Insights, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., February 2019.
- Webinar – Breathe New Life Into Your Healthcare Valuations, hosted by Business Valuation Resources, co-presented with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, Partner, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., June 13, 2018.
- Valuing Electronic Health Record System (“EHR”) Donation Arrangements, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., November 2016.
- Webinar – Medicare’s New and Clarified Rules: Per Click and Lithotripsy, Why Does FMV Matter, co-presented with Ann Bittinger, Esq., Attorney, The Bittinger Law Firm, and Tizgel High, Esq., VP, Associate General Counsel, LifePoint Health, hosted by the FMV Affinity Group of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), November 2, 2016.
- What to Look for Beyond EBITDA, featured expert, The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, September 16, 2015.
- Presentation – Healthcare Valuation: Fundamentals & Common Pitfalls, Philadelphia Bar Association-Health Law Committee Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, October 10, 2014.
- Webinar – Structuring Healthcare Practice Leasing, PSA and Other Practice Alignment Arrangements, co-presented with Michael Blau, Esq., Partner, Foley & Lardner, LLP, hosted by Strafford Legal Webinars, August 28, 2014.
- Presentation – Straightening Out Your Alignment: An Overview of Hospital/Physician Practice Alignment Transactions, co-presented with John R. Washlick, Esq., Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, Pennsylvania Bar Institute – 20th Annual Health Law Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 13-14, 2014. Chapter D: Straightening Out Your Alignment: An Overview of Hospital/Physician Practice
- Alignment Transactions, co-authored with John R. Washlick, Esq., Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, PC, 20th Health Law Institute Volume 1, March 2014.
- Impact of Ownership Details for Fixed Asset Appraisal, co-authored with Cary C. Kao, ASA, MRICS, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., March 2014.
- 7 Key Components of Employee Leasing Arrangements, featured expert, Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), November 13, 2013
- Expiration of the “Grandfather Provision” for Anatomic Pathology, co-authored with Richard Chasinoff, MBA, MHA, CVA, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Hospitals & Health Systems RX, (a publication of the AHLA Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group), Vol. 15, No. 1, April 2013.
- Webinar – Addressing Fair Market Value in hospital and physician integration, co-presenter with Barry D. Alexander, JD, Partner, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP. Hosted by Health Care Compliance Association, January 30, 2013.
- Hospitals Navigate Fair Market Value Under Stark, contributing expert, Report on Medicare Compliance, Published by Atlantic Information Services, Inc., Washington, DC, Volume 20, Number 29, August 15, 2011.
- AHLA Teleconference – Featured speaker, Fred M. Lara, Healthcare Compensation Valuation: In-Depth Case Studies Highlighting Common Healthcare Compensation Valuation Considerations, March 4, 2008
- AHLA Teleconference – Featured speaker, Fred M. Lara, What Counsel Should Be Alert To During The Valuation Process, December 5, 2007
- Stipends for Stroke Call Create New Pressures, Demands and Neurologists, Fred M. Lara, contributing expert. Neurology Today, April 4, 2006
- Villanova University, BS, Finance (with honors)
- Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA Institute
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA); American Society of Appraisers (2009)
Designation: Business Valuation
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analyst
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts (NACVA)
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- CFA Society of Philadelphia
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- CD Ventures, Berwyn, PA
- Acquisition Management Services, King of Prussia, PA
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Philadelphia, PA
Author: David B. Fink Download the PDF THE HEALTHCARE VALUATION COMMUNITY The impetus for the healthcare valuation community began in the late 1990’s after the Physician Self- Referral Law (commonly known as the Stark Law) was enacted by Congress, which prohibits...
Authors: David Y. Lo, CFA, ASA and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDFThe physical therapy industry continues to see growing activity and investment. Most recently ATI Physical Therapy went public through a merger with a special purpose acquisition company,...
Authors: Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Kevin Obletz, JD, CVAOriginally published by the American Association of Provider Compensation Professionals. "The cornerstones of regulatory compliance, the concepts of commercial reasonableness and fair market value (“FMV”) are...
BOCA RATON, Fla., Sept. 1, 2021 – Healthcare Appraisers, Inc. has appointed a new Women’s Leadership Council. The council will be working on several initiatives with other leaders in the company to advance dialogue about issues impacting equity, inclusion, and...
BOCA RATON, Fla., August 30, 2021 – Andrea Ferrari, JD, MPH, has been appointed Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer for Healthcare Appraisers, Inc. In this position, Ms. Ferrari will lead Healthcare Appraisers’ diversity, equity and inclusion strategies....
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud Supporting Sponsor of the conference. Date: Sunday, February 6 - Wednesday, February 9, 2022 The American Hospital Association’s 2022 Rural Health Care Leadership Conference, February 6-9, Phoenix, AZ, brings together top practitioners...