William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA
William Kaufmann is a Manager in the Philadelphia office.
Kaufmann specializes in fair market value analyses for compensation arrangements which may have Stark and/or Anti-Kickback implications. His focus spans the fair market value and commercial reasonableness analysis of hospital arrangements with physicians for clients nationwide, and he primarily serves the Raleigh and surrounding North Carolina markets.
Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, Kaufmann practiced law in real estate, bankruptcy and intellectual property. He earned a Juris Doctor from The Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, a Master of Business Administration from Villanova University, and a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Northeastern University with minors in Mathematics and Business Administration. Kaufmann is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar and part of the North Carolina Bar Association.
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- The Unintended Consequences of Taking the Escalator, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, November 10, 2020
- Management Services Arrangements – What’s in a Name?, co-authored with David Sands, ASA and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, July 2020
- Nonprofit Status Challenges, co-authored with Sydney Hilzenrath, CEP, CECP and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Feb 12, 2020
- The Long Arm of the Law – Healthcare Fraud and the Travel Act, co-authored with Fred M. Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and David W. Sands, CVA, Aug 15, 2019
- Excise Tax on Executive Compensation and How Much You End up Paying, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and David W. Sands, CVA, February 2019
- Understanding Reasonable Executive Compensation for Nonprofit Organizations,co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and David W. Sands, CVA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Insights, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., February 2019
- The Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, Villanova, PA, Juris Doctor
- Villanova University, Villanova, PA, Master of Business Administration
- Northeastern University, Boston, MA, Bachelor of Science, Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Member of the state bar: Pennsylvania, New Jersey
- Pennsylvania Bar
- United States Patent and Trademark Office Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
Authors: Jim Carr, ASA, MBA and Andrew Worthington Download the PDF HOSPITAL-BASED CLINICAL COVERAGE ARRANGEMENTS Often, hospitals and health systems do not wish to incur the administrative burden involved in employing the clinical resources needed to cover their...
Authors: Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA Download the PDF Updated February 9, 2021 for the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 The 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) final rule included recommendations by the Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC) to...
The FMV Impact on Physician Compensation: Physicians Utilizing Advance Practice Professionals in Global Surgery Settings
Authors: Barbara Landy, MBA, MHS, FACHE, NHA and Kevin Obletz, JD Download the PDF As the general population continues to outpace the number of practicing physicians in the United States, the way healthcare is delivered will continue to evolve to meet demand. One...
Mandated Hospital Disclosure of Negotiated Rates and Its Potential Impact on Fair Market Value (FMV) Analyses
Authors: Erica Jacobovits, JD, and Kevin Obletz, JD Download the PDF Healthcare spending in the United States has been consistently touted as disproportionately high when juxtaposed with certain healthcare outcome measures, including life expectancy and infant...
Authors: Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, Matthew J. Muller, ASA, and Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA Download the PDF As with all sectors of healthcare, the lab industry has been dramatically impacted by COVID-19. In addition to COVID-19, the industry is dealing with reimbursement...
A live webinar featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Director, Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA. Tuesday, March 2, 2021 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. EDT The Medicare Physician Fee Schedule changes have been finalized and the Consolidated Appropriations Act softened the short-term...
Healthcare Appraisers' is a proud sponsor for the 2021 DLA Piper Healthcare Leadership Conference A roadmap to recovery and reimagining healthcare in a COVID-19 world DLA Piper’s 2021 Healthcare Leadership Conference – The roadmap to recovery and reimagining...
Healthcare Appraisers' Partner Andrea, M. Ferrari, JD, MPH will be speaking with Michael D. Bossenbroek, Senior Associate General Counsel at Beaumont Health. Looking Back and Looking Ahead at Physician Compensation COVID-19 disrupted health care in unfathomable ways,...
A 30-minute demonstration featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Director, Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA. Wednesday, March 31, 2021 12:00 p.m. EST (allow 60 min on calendar) See firsthand how online FMV calculators provide instant FMV guidance for physician recruiters and...