Luis A. Argueso
Luis Argueso is a Partner in the Denver office.
Argueso’s area of practice involves the appraisal of healthcare businesses and the valuation of healthcare provider compensation relationships. He has been providing valuation and consulting services since 2008. Mr. Argueso is a national subject matter expert in the valuation of compensation arrangements between hospitals and medical groups which staff and medically direct hospital-based service lines such as: anesthesiology, emergency, hospitalist, and radiology departments. He also is a thought leader in the fair market value and commercial reasonableness of telemedicine businesses and service arrangements. Based on this expertise, Argueso has provided consulting to clients for improving the efficiency, quality, and compliance of telemedicine and hospital-based service arrangements.
Argueso’s background in economics has led to experience in consulting work involving the analysis of the economic impact of various healthcare businesses and needs assessments for healthcare professionals and service lines. In addition, he has experience in providing litigation support services for healthcare entities.
Prior to joining the firm, Argueso worked at a leading investment firm developing projects to improve internal efficiency and database management. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Princeton University.
- Business Valuation
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Not So Fast: Management Fees and Profit Margins in Hospital-Based Clinical Coverage Arrangements, co-authored with Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA and Andrew L. Worthington, March 31, 2021
- A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery: Forecasting the 2021 Final Rule and Hospital-Based Clinical Coverage Arrangements, co-authored with Andrew L. Worthington, March 30, 2021
- 2021 Review and Benchmarking Guide: Trends and Data Insights for Hospital-Based Clinical Coverage Arrangements, co-authored with Andrew L. Worthington, March 10, 2021
- What the New Stimulus Bill Means for Funding of Healthcare Providers, co-authored with Sydney Hilzenrath, CEP, CECP and Parker Prestegard, Mar 31, 2020
- FMVantage Point: Avoid Cost Landmines: Assessing Trends in Payments for Hospital-Based Physician Services, September 20, 2018
- FMVantage Point: Impact of Proposed CMS Changes to Telemedicine Reimbursement, July 25, 2018
- You’ve got patients! A Case Study in Fair Market Value and Commercial Reasonableness: Considerations for Attorneys Evaluating Telemedicine, ABA Health eSource, Volume 14 Number 9, May 2018.
- FMVantage Point: Telemedicine Industry Trends: Compensation Structure, May 15, 2018.
- FMVantage Point: President Trump, The Opioid Crisis, and Fair Market Value, October 31, 2017.
- FMVantage Point: New York Times Highlights Challenges for Hospital Based Service Lines, August 10, 2017.
- The Growth of Specialized Hospitalist Programs – A Valuator’s Perspective, co-authored with Todd Mello, ASA, CVA, MBA, Partner, Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), May 2015.
- 24/7/365 Options for Physician Coverage, featured story with Todd Mello, ASA, CVA, MBA, Partner, and Nicholas Newsad, MHSA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Strategic Financial Planning (Web edition), Healthcare Financial Management Association: Westchester, IL, October 17, 2013.
- Can Your ASC Benefit from a Loan Guarantee Arrangement?, co-authored with Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA, Partner, Becker’s ASC Review (Web edition), September 2, 2010.
- Will I Ever Get Paid? Medicare Reimbursement Changes and Interoperability Costs, ATA19, April 15, 2019.
- ABCs of Telemedicine FMVs, presentation with Kevin Cassell, AM, hosted by American Telemedicine Association, March 7, 2019.
- Maximizing the Value of Your Payments to Hospital-Based Service Providers, presentation with Robert Stiefel, MD. HFMA Mid-Winter Conference – January 28-30, 2019.
- Stop the Bleed: Triaging Hospital-Based Services Arrangements, presentation with MD Ranger, October 4, 2018.
- Proactive to Reactive: Resources for Improving the Value of Your ASC, presentation with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA. Becker’s 16th Annual Future of Spine + The Spine, Orthopedic and Pain Management-Driven ASC Conference, June 14-16, 2018.
- Fair Market Value and Telemedicine Service Arrangements, presentation with Thomas (TJ) Ferrante from Foley & Lardner LLP, May 22, 2018.
- Princeton University, B.A. in Economics
BOCA RATON, Fla., July 9, 2021 – Andrea Ferrari, JD, MPH, partner with HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., a national healthcare valuation and advisory firm, joins the American Health Law Association’s (AHLA) national roster of arbitrators, mediators, and hearing officers....
Author: David W. Sands, CVA Download the PDFThe Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General (OIG) recently released a Special Fraud Alert aimed at pharmaceutical and device companies that use speaker programs to compensate physicians and...
Author: Fred M. Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA Download the PDFOn April 29, 2021, the Office of Inspector General (the “OIG”) posted Advisory Opinion No. 21-02, which addressed a request from a health system and management company (the “Requestors”) for review of a proposed...
HealthCare Appraisers Releases 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys – Timely Insight into the Trends and Forces Shaping the ASC Industry
BOCA RATON, Fla., May 6th – HealthCare Appraisers, a leading healthcare valuation and advisory firm with offices nationwide, released its comprehensive 2021 Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. Research from these surveys reveal data...
HealthCare Appraisers' clients, please contact your representative for a complimentary copy of the 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. These surveys have become widely-utilized and valuable industry resources over the years, and we hope you enjoy the...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud Platinum Sponsor of both the virtual and in-person events. This important program brings together legal counsel, compliance officers, and government representatives for an invaluable learning and networking opportunity. The planning...
Healthcare Appraisers will be exhibiting at booth #231. EXPERIENCE EDUCATION, INNOVATION AND CONNECTION TO DRIVE EXCELLENCE. Stay tuned! As we announce an impressive line-up of educational sessions chock-full of tools, case studies and actionable takeaways. The...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud Bronze Sponsor of this event. BRINGING THE FUTURE OF MEDICAL REAL ESTATE INTO FOCUS These unprecedented times have intensified change in the rapidly evolving healthcare real estate market, and they require a renewed focus on the...