Luis A. Argueso
Luis Argueso is a Partner in the Denver office.
Argueso’s area of practice involves the appraisal of healthcare businesses and the valuation of healthcare provider compensation relationships. He has been providing valuation and consulting services since 2008. Mr. Argueso is a national subject matter expert in the valuation of compensation arrangements between hospitals and medical groups which staff and medically direct hospital-based service lines such as: anesthesiology, emergency, hospitalist, and radiology departments. He also is a thought leader in the fair market value and commercial reasonableness of telemedicine businesses and service arrangements. Based on this expertise, Argueso has provided consulting to clients for improving the efficiency, quality, and compliance of telemedicine and hospital-based service arrangements.
Argueso’s background in economics has led to experience in consulting work involving the analysis of the economic impact of various healthcare businesses and needs assessments for healthcare professionals and service lines. In addition, he has experience in providing litigation support services for healthcare entities.
Prior to joining the firm, Argueso worked at a leading investment firm developing projects to improve internal efficiency and database management. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Princeton University.
- Business Valuation
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Not So Fast: Management Fees and Profit Margins in Hospital-Based Clinical Coverage Arrangements, co-authored with Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA and Andrew L. Worthington, March 31, 2021
- A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery: Forecasting the 2021 Final Rule and Hospital-Based Clinical Coverage Arrangements, co-authored with Andrew L. Worthington, March 30, 2021
- 2021 Review and Benchmarking Guide: Trends and Data Insights for Hospital-Based Clinical Coverage Arrangements, co-authored with Andrew L. Worthington, March 10, 2021
- What the New Stimulus Bill Means for Funding of Healthcare Providers, co-authored with Sydney Hilzenrath, CEP, CECP and Parker Prestegard, Mar 31, 2020
- FMVantage Point: Avoid Cost Landmines: Assessing Trends in Payments for Hospital-Based Physician Services, September 20, 2018
- FMVantage Point: Impact of Proposed CMS Changes to Telemedicine Reimbursement, July 25, 2018
- You’ve got patients! A Case Study in Fair Market Value and Commercial Reasonableness: Considerations for Attorneys Evaluating Telemedicine, ABA Health eSource, Volume 14 Number 9, May 2018.
- FMVantage Point: Telemedicine Industry Trends: Compensation Structure, May 15, 2018.
- FMVantage Point: President Trump, The Opioid Crisis, and Fair Market Value, October 31, 2017.
- FMVantage Point: New York Times Highlights Challenges for Hospital Based Service Lines, August 10, 2017.
- The Growth of Specialized Hospitalist Programs – A Valuator’s Perspective, co-authored with Todd Mello, ASA, CVA, MBA, Partner, Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), May 2015.
- 24/7/365 Options for Physician Coverage, featured story with Todd Mello, ASA, CVA, MBA, Partner, and Nicholas Newsad, MHSA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Strategic Financial Planning (Web edition), Healthcare Financial Management Association: Westchester, IL, October 17, 2013.
- Can Your ASC Benefit from a Loan Guarantee Arrangement?, co-authored with Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA, Partner, Becker’s ASC Review (Web edition), September 2, 2010.
- Will I Ever Get Paid? Medicare Reimbursement Changes and Interoperability Costs, ATA19, April 15, 2019.
- ABCs of Telemedicine FMVs, presentation with Kevin Cassell, AM, hosted by American Telemedicine Association, March 7, 2019.
- Maximizing the Value of Your Payments to Hospital-Based Service Providers, presentation with Robert Stiefel, MD. HFMA Mid-Winter Conference – January 28-30, 2019.
- Stop the Bleed: Triaging Hospital-Based Services Arrangements, presentation with MD Ranger, October 4, 2018.
- Proactive to Reactive: Resources for Improving the Value of Your ASC, presentation with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA. Becker’s 16th Annual Future of Spine + The Spine, Orthopedic and Pain Management-Driven ASC Conference, June 14-16, 2018.
- Fair Market Value and Telemedicine Service Arrangements, presentation with Thomas (TJ) Ferrante from Foley & Lardner LLP, May 22, 2018.
- Princeton University, B.A. in Economics
HealthCare Appraisers Releases 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys – Timely Insight into the Trends and Forces Shaping the ASC Industry
BOCA RATON, Fla., May 6th – HealthCare Appraisers, a leading healthcare valuation and advisory firm with offices nationwide, released its comprehensive 2021 Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. Research from these surveys reveal data...
HealthCare Appraisers' clients, please contact your representative for a complimentary copy of the 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. These surveys have become widely-utilized and valuable industry resources over the years, and we hope you enjoy the...
Authors: Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDFThe imaging market in the United States is estimated to generate more than $100 billion annually with radiology practices and imaging centers accounting for approximately $19 billion...
Author: Kevin P. Cassell, ASA and Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA Download the PDFCompensation plans based solely or predominantly on work relative value unit (“wRVU”) production have commonly been included in the employment agreements of physicians and other providers...
Author: Jamie McIntyre, JD Download the PDFAs government and private payors maintain focus on initiatives to promote and optimize performance-based payment systems, hospitals and health systems have consistently sought to identify new strategies to align themselves...
Featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Partner Luis A. Argueso and Intercept TeleMed President and CEO Diego C. Reino, MD. Tuesday, May 25, 2021 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m EST HealthCare Appraisers and Intercept TeleMed are pleased to deliver a joint webinar demonstrating the...
May 25 | Webinar: Physician Compensation After 2020 Changes to the Stark Law and Antikickback Statute Regulations: FMV, Commercial Reasonableness, and Volume or Value Standards
A Strafford webinar featuring HealthCare Appraiser's Partner Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH. A 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A. Tuesday, May 25, 2021 1:00pm-2:30pm EDT, 10:00am-11:30am PDT This CLE webinar will guide healthcare counsel and compliance...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud sponsor for the 2021 Tennessee Bar Association Annual Convention. Full-Access Registration for the TBA Annual Convention includes in-person access to all major convention events and programs as well as access to additional virtual...
Jun 16 | Webinar: Service Line Co-Management: The Ultimate Sustainable PSA? Creating Legal, Effective, and Lasting Alignment
A 90-minute Strafford CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A featuring HealthCare Appraiser's Director, Jamie McIntyre, JD. Wednesday, June 16, 2021 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. EDTThis CLE webinar will assist hospital and physician group counsel to optimize service line...