Luis A. Argueso
Luis Argueso is a Partner in the Denver office.
Argueso’s area of practice involves the appraisal of healthcare businesses and the valuation of healthcare provider compensation relationships. He has been providing valuation and consulting services since 2008. Mr. Argueso is a national subject matter expert in the valuation of compensation arrangements between hospitals and medical groups which staff and medically direct hospital-based service lines such as: anesthesiology, emergency, hospitalist, and radiology departments. He also is a thought leader in the fair market value and commercial reasonableness of telemedicine businesses and service arrangements. Based on this expertise, Argueso has provided consulting to clients for improving the efficiency, quality, and compliance of telemedicine and hospital-based service arrangements.
Argueso’s background in economics has led to experience in consulting work involving the analysis of the economic impact of various healthcare businesses and needs assessments for healthcare professionals and service lines. In addition, he has experience in providing litigation support services for healthcare entities.
Prior to joining the firm, Argueso worked at a leading investment firm developing projects to improve internal efficiency and database management. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Princeton University.
- Business Valuation
- Compensation Valuation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- What the New Stimulus Bill Means for Funding of Healthcare Providers, co-authored with Sydney Hilzenrath, CEP, CECP and Parker Prestegard, Mar 31, 2020
- FMVantage Point: Avoid Cost Landmines: Assessing Trends in Payments for Hospital-Based Physician Services, September 20, 2018
- FMVantage Point: Impact of Proposed CMS Changes to Telemedicine Reimbursement, July 25, 2018
- You’ve got patients! A Case Study in Fair Market Value and Commercial Reasonableness: Considerations for Attorneys Evaluating Telemedicine, ABA Health eSource, Volume 14 Number 9, May 2018.
- FMVantage Point: Telemedicine Industry Trends: Compensation Structure, May 15, 2018.
- FMVantage Point: President Trump, The Opioid Crisis, and Fair Market Value, October 31, 2017.
- FMVantage Point: New York Times Highlights Challenges for Hospital Based Service Lines, August 10, 2017.
- The Growth of Specialized Hospitalist Programs – A Valuator’s Perspective, co-authored with Todd Mello, ASA, CVA, MBA, Partner, Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), May 2015.
- 24/7/365 Options for Physician Coverage, featured story with Todd Mello, ASA, CVA, MBA, Partner, and Nicholas Newsad, MHSA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Strategic Financial Planning (Web edition), Healthcare Financial Management Association: Westchester, IL, October 17, 2013.
- Can Your ASC Benefit from a Loan Guarantee Arrangement?, co-authored with Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA, Partner, Becker’s ASC Review (Web edition), September 2, 2010.
- Will I Ever Get Paid? Medicare Reimbursement Changes and Interoperability Costs, ATA19, April 15, 2019.
- ABCs of Telemedicine FMVs, presentation with Kevin Cassell, AM, hosted by American Telemedicine Association, March 7, 2019.
- Maximizing the Value of Your Payments to Hospital-Based Service Providers, presentation with Robert Stiefel, MD. HFMA Mid-Winter Conference – January 28-30, 2019.
- Stop the Bleed: Triaging Hospital-Based Services Arrangements, presentation with MD Ranger, October 4, 2018.
- Proactive to Reactive: Resources for Improving the Value of Your ASC, presentation with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA. Becker’s 16th Annual Future of Spine + The Spine, Orthopedic and Pain Management-Driven ASC Conference, June 14-16, 2018.
- Fair Market Value and Telemedicine Service Arrangements, presentation with Thomas (TJ) Ferrante from Foley & Lardner LLP, May 22, 2018.
- Princeton University, B.A. in Economics
Authors: Jim Carr, ASA, MBA and Andrew Worthington Download the PDF HOSPITAL-BASED CLINICAL COVERAGE ARRANGEMENTS Often, hospitals and health systems do not wish to incur the administrative burden involved in employing the clinical resources needed to cover their...
Authors: Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA Download the PDF Updated February 9, 2021 for the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 The 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) final rule included recommendations by the Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC) to...
The FMV Impact on Physician Compensation: Physicians Utilizing Advance Practice Professionals in Global Surgery Settings
Authors: Barbara Landy, MBA, MHS, FACHE, NHA and Kevin Obletz, JD Download the PDF As the general population continues to outpace the number of practicing physicians in the United States, the way healthcare is delivered will continue to evolve to meet demand. One...
Mandated Hospital Disclosure of Negotiated Rates and Its Potential Impact on Fair Market Value (FMV) Analyses
Authors: Erica Jacobovits, JD, and Kevin Obletz, JD Download the PDF Healthcare spending in the United States has been consistently touted as disproportionately high when juxtaposed with certain healthcare outcome measures, including life expectancy and infant...
Authors: Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, Matthew J. Muller, ASA, and Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA Download the PDF As with all sectors of healthcare, the lab industry has been dramatically impacted by COVID-19. In addition to COVID-19, the industry is dealing with reimbursement...
A live webinar featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Director, Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA. Tuesday, March 2, 2021 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. EDT The Medicare Physician Fee Schedule changes have been finalized and the Consolidated Appropriations Act softened the short-term...
Healthcare Appraisers' is a proud sponsor for the 2021 DLA Piper Healthcare Leadership Conference A roadmap to recovery and reimagining healthcare in a COVID-19 world DLA Piper’s 2021 Healthcare Leadership Conference – The roadmap to recovery and reimagining...
Healthcare Appraisers' Partner Andrea, M. Ferrari, JD, MPH will be speaking with Michael D. Bossenbroek, Senior Associate General Counsel at Beaumont Health. Looking Back and Looking Ahead at Physician Compensation COVID-19 disrupted health care in unfathomable ways,...
A 30-minute demonstration featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Director, Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA. Wednesday, March 31, 2021 12:00 p.m. EST (allow 60 min on calendar) See firsthand how online FMV calculators provide instant FMV guidance for physician recruiters and...