David W. Sands, CVA
David Sands is a Director in the Boca Raton office.
Sands specializes in the valuation of complex compensation arrangements which may have Stark and/or Anti-Kickback implications, executive compensation consulting services and business valuation. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, he was a private investment manager with Wachovia Securities in Las Olas, Florida.
Sands currently possesses over 11 years of full-time healthcare consulting and valuation experience. During this time, he has gained exposure to every type of analysis that the Firm provides to clients, and has been instrumental in aiding the development of the Firm’s internal standards, FMV guidance and templates. He is a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) and holds a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance from Boston University’s School of Management. Sands is a Level II Candidate in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program.
- Compensation Valuation
- Executive Compensation & Governance
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- OIG Issues Special Fraud Alert in Connection with Speaker Programs, May 26, 2021
- The Unintended Consequences of Taking the Escalator, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, November 10, 2020
- A Comprehensive Guide to Pathology Arrangements, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, August 6, 2020
- Management Services Arrangements – What’s in a Name?, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, July 2020
- FMV Documentation and Real Estate Compliance – Often Overlooked, but Never Undervalued, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Kristina Kheyfets, October 2019
- The Long Arm of the Law – Healthcare Fraud and the Travel Act, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and Fred M. Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Aug 15, 2019
- Excise Tax on Executive Compensation and How Much You End up Paying, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Understanding Reasonable Executive Compensation for Nonprofit Organizations, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Webinar – Challenges of Hospital-Based Pathology Compensation Arrangements, hosted by The American Bar Association, co-presented with Jane Pine Wood, Esq., Chief Legal Counsel – BioReference Laboratories, Inc., June 28, 2018.
- Valuing Electronic Health Record System (“EHR”) Donation Arrangements, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., November 2016.
- Boston University School of Management, BSBA with a concentration in Finance
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts (NACVA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Series 7 Financial designation (inactive)
- Series 66 Financial designation (inactive)
BOCA RATON, Fla., July 9, 2021 – Andrea Ferrari, JD, MPH, partner with HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., a national healthcare valuation and advisory firm, joins the American Health Law Association’s (AHLA) national roster of arbitrators, mediators, and hearing officers....
Author: David W. Sands, CVA Download the PDFThe Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General (OIG) recently released a Special Fraud Alert aimed at pharmaceutical and device companies that use speaker programs to compensate physicians and...
Author: Fred M. Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA Download the PDFOn April 29, 2021, the Office of Inspector General (the “OIG”) posted Advisory Opinion No. 21-02, which addressed a request from a health system and management company (the “Requestors”) for review of a proposed...
HealthCare Appraisers Releases 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys – Timely Insight into the Trends and Forces Shaping the ASC Industry
BOCA RATON, Fla., May 6th – HealthCare Appraisers, a leading healthcare valuation and advisory firm with offices nationwide, released its comprehensive 2021 Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. Research from these surveys reveal data...
HealthCare Appraisers' clients, please contact your representative for a complimentary copy of the 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. These surveys have become widely-utilized and valuable industry resources over the years, and we hope you enjoy the...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud Platinum Sponsor of both the virtual and in-person events. This important program brings together legal counsel, compliance officers, and government representatives for an invaluable learning and networking opportunity. The planning...
Healthcare Appraisers will be exhibiting at booth #231. EXPERIENCE EDUCATION, INNOVATION AND CONNECTION TO DRIVE EXCELLENCE. Stay tuned! As we announce an impressive line-up of educational sessions chock-full of tools, case studies and actionable takeaways. The...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud Bronze Sponsor of this event. BRINGING THE FUTURE OF MEDICAL REAL ESTATE INTO FOCUS These unprecedented times have intensified change in the rapidly evolving healthcare real estate market, and they require a renewed focus on the...