David W. Sands, CVA
David Sands is a Director in the Boca Raton office.
Sands specializes in the valuation of complex compensation arrangements which may have Stark and/or Anti-Kickback implications, executive compensation consulting services and business valuation. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, he was a private investment manager with Wachovia Securities in Las Olas, Florida.
Sands currently possesses over 11 years of full-time healthcare consulting and valuation experience. During this time, he has gained exposure to every type of analysis that the Firm provides to clients, and has been instrumental in aiding the development of the Firm’s internal standards, FMV guidance and templates. He is a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) and holds a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance from Boston University’s School of Management. Sands is a Level II Candidate in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program.
- Compensation Valuation
- Executive Compensation & Governance
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- A Comprehensive Guide to Pathology Arrangements, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, August 6, 2020
- Management Services Arrangements – What’s in a Name?, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, July 2020
- FMV Documentation and Real Estate Compliance – Often Overlooked, but Never Undervalued, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Kristina Kheyfets, October 2019
- The Long Arm of the Law – Healthcare Fraud and the Travel Act, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and Fred M. Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Aug 15, 2019
- Excise Tax on Executive Compensation and How Much You End up Paying, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Understanding Reasonable Executive Compensation for Nonprofit Organizations, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Webinar – Challenges of Hospital-Based Pathology Compensation Arrangements, hosted by The American Bar Association, co-presented with Jane Pine Wood, Esq., Chief Legal Counsel – BioReference Laboratories, Inc., June 28, 2018.
- Valuing Electronic Health Record System (“EHR”) Donation Arrangements, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., November 2016.
- Boston University School of Management, BSBA with a concentration in Finance
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts (NACVA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Series 7 Financial designation (inactive)
- Series 66 Financial designation (inactive)
Authors: Matthew J. Muller, ASA and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDFThe urgent care sector has been a quickly growing segment of the healthcare industry over the last several years, and HealthCare Appraisers has observed growth in transactions in this highly...
Authors: Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA Download the PDF OVERVIEW Chief Medical Officers (CMOs) play a critical role in the success of healthcare organizations, tasked with standards of care, quality improvement, and medical staff affairs. Accordingly, CMOs often rank...
Authors: Erica Jacobovits, JD and Kevin Obletz, JD Download the PDF In the aftermath of the determination by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, Alex M. Azar II (the “Secretary”), that COVID-19 represents a public health emergency, the Centers for Medicare...
Authors: Kevin Obletz, JD and Alyse Bentz, JD, MPH Download the PDF INTRODUCTION Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, many hospitals had begun to expand their outpatient service offerings, as a result of an increasing number of unoccupied inpatient beds. Furthermore,...
Authors: William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, David Sands, ASA and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA Download the PDFIn forming and evaluating management agreements, hospital operators and counsels alike can have varying expectations as to the nature, structure and value of these...
Healthcare Appraisers is proud to serve as the Program Sponsor for the AHLA Fraud and Compliance Forum. This program brings together legal counsel, compliance officers, and government representatives for an invaluable learning and networking opportunity. This program...
HealthCare Appraisers will serve as a Platinum Sponsor for the 32nd Annual Health Law Forum. This forum will take place virtually via live webcast. Recognized as one of the premier health law programs in the country, this annual forum addresses key issues impacting...