David W. Sands, CVA
David Sands is a Director in the Boca Raton office.
Sands specializes in the valuation of complex compensation arrangements which may have Stark and/or Anti-Kickback implications, executive compensation consulting services and business valuation. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, he was a private investment manager with Wachovia Securities in Las Olas, Florida.
Sands currently possesses over 11 years of full-time healthcare consulting and valuation experience. During this time, he has gained exposure to every type of analysis that the Firm provides to clients, and has been instrumental in aiding the development of the Firm’s internal standards, FMV guidance and templates. He is a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) and holds a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance from Boston University’s School of Management. Sands is a Level II Candidate in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program.
- Compensation Valuation
- Executive Compensation & Governance
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- The Unintended Consequences of Taking the Escalator, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, November 10, 2020
- A Comprehensive Guide to Pathology Arrangements, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, August 6, 2020
- Management Services Arrangements – What’s in a Name?, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, July 2020
- FMV Documentation and Real Estate Compliance – Often Overlooked, but Never Undervalued, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Kristina Kheyfets, October 2019
- The Long Arm of the Law – Healthcare Fraud and the Travel Act, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and Fred M. Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Aug 15, 2019
- Excise Tax on Executive Compensation and How Much You End up Paying, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Understanding Reasonable Executive Compensation for Nonprofit Organizations, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Webinar – Challenges of Hospital-Based Pathology Compensation Arrangements, hosted by The American Bar Association, co-presented with Jane Pine Wood, Esq., Chief Legal Counsel – BioReference Laboratories, Inc., June 28, 2018.
- Valuing Electronic Health Record System (“EHR”) Donation Arrangements, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., November 2016.
- Boston University School of Management, BSBA with a concentration in Finance
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts (NACVA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Series 7 Financial designation (inactive)
- Series 66 Financial designation (inactive)
HealthCare Appraisers Releases 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys – Timely Insight into the Trends and Forces Shaping the ASC Industry
BOCA RATON, Fla., May 6th – HealthCare Appraisers, a leading healthcare valuation and advisory firm with offices nationwide, released its comprehensive 2021 Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. Research from these surveys reveal data...
HealthCare Appraisers' clients, please contact your representative for a complimentary copy of the 2021 ASC Valuation and Benchmarking Surveys. These surveys have become widely-utilized and valuable industry resources over the years, and we hope you enjoy the...
Authors: Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDFThe imaging market in the United States is estimated to generate more than $100 billion annually with radiology practices and imaging centers accounting for approximately $19 billion...
Author: Kevin P. Cassell, ASA and Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA Download the PDFCompensation plans based solely or predominantly on work relative value unit (“wRVU”) production have commonly been included in the employment agreements of physicians and other providers...
Author: Jamie McIntyre, JD Download the PDFAs government and private payors maintain focus on initiatives to promote and optimize performance-based payment systems, hospitals and health systems have consistently sought to identify new strategies to align themselves...
Featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Partner Luis A. Argueso and Intercept TeleMed President and CEO Diego C. Reino, MD. Tuesday, May 25, 2021 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m EST HealthCare Appraisers and Intercept TeleMed are pleased to deliver a joint webinar demonstrating the...
May 25 | Webinar: Physician Compensation After 2020 Changes to the Stark Law and Antikickback Statute Regulations: FMV, Commercial Reasonableness, and Volume or Value Standards
A Strafford webinar featuring HealthCare Appraiser's Partner Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH. A 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A. Tuesday, May 25, 2021 1:00pm-2:30pm EDT, 10:00am-11:30am PDT This CLE webinar will guide healthcare counsel and compliance...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud sponsor for the 2021 Tennessee Bar Association Annual Convention. Full-Access Registration for the TBA Annual Convention includes in-person access to all major convention events and programs as well as access to additional virtual...
Jun 16 | Webinar: Service Line Co-Management: The Ultimate Sustainable PSA? Creating Legal, Effective, and Lasting Alignment
A 90-minute Strafford CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A featuring HealthCare Appraiser's Director, Jamie McIntyre, JD. Wednesday, June 16, 2021 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. EDTThis CLE webinar will assist hospital and physician group counsel to optimize service line...