David W. Sands, CVA
David Sands is a Director in the Oakland office.
Sands specializes in the valuation of complex compensation arrangements which may have Stark and/or Anti-Kickback implications, executive compensation consulting services and business valuation. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, he was a private investment manager with Wachovia Securities in Las Olas, Florida.
Sands currently possesses over 11 years of full-time healthcare consulting and valuation experience. During this time, he has gained exposure to every type of analysis that the Firm provides to clients, and has been instrumental in aiding the development of the Firm’s internal standards, FMV guidance and templates. He is a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) and holds a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance from Boston University’s School of Management. Sands is a Level II Candidate in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program.
- Compensation Valuation
- Executive Compensation & Governance
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- FMV Documentation and Real Estate Compliance – Often Overlooked, but Never Undervalued, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Kristina Kheyfets, October 2019
- Excise Tax on Executive Compensation and How Much You End up Paying, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Understanding Reasonable Executive Compensation for Nonprofit Organizations, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Webinar – Challenges of Hospital-Based Pathology Compensation Arrangements, hosted by The American Bar Association, co-presented with Jane Pine Wood, Esq., Chief Legal Counsel – BioReference Laboratories, Inc., June 28, 2018.
- Valuing Electronic Health Record System (“EHR”) Donation Arrangements, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., November 2016.
- Boston University School of Management, BSBA with a concentration in Finance
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts (NACVA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Series 7 Financial designation (inactive)
- Series 66 Financial designation (inactive)
Featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH Time: 90 minutesSession Format: On Demand RecordingCLE Credit Available: No Recently the government issued blanket Stark waivers and Anti-Kickback guidance related to COVID-19 physician arrangements. This...
Authors: Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA; Matthew J. Muller, ASA and Jordan A. Zoeller, MAcc Download the PDFThe Financial Accounting Standards Board (“FASB”) enacted a change in how companies should (or will) record liabilities from operating leases in Accounting Standards...
Authors: Matthew J. Muller, ASA, Anusha Patni, MSAQF and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDF INTRODUCTION Specialty pharmacies, which once occupied only a small niche in the pharmacy marketplace, are now a sizeable part of the broader pharmacy industry. In...
Authors: David Y. Lo, CFA, Matthew J. Muller ASA and Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA Download the PDF Emerging as an essential tool in the efforts to combat the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the telemedicine industry is expected to reach $155 billion, growing at a compound...
Authors: Kristina Kheyfets, David Sands, CVA and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA Download the PDF As COVID-19 continues to financially disrupt healthcare organizations across the nation, clinical laboratories of all sizes have played a vital role ramping up to meet the...
Legal and Regulatory Issues for CINs, Organizational Structure, Governance, and More A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH. Tuesday, August 18, 2020 1:00pm-2:30pm EDT, 10:00am-11:30am PDT This...
Healthcare Appraisers is proud to serve as the Program Sponsor for the AHLA Fraud and Compliance Forum. This program brings together legal counsel, compliance officers, and government representatives for an invaluable learning and networking opportunity. This program...
HEALTHCARE APPRAISERS WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE AT: November 2-4 | San Diego, CA SMART STRATEGIES FOR FUTURE SUCCESS Knowing what's on the horizon in healthcare real estate is essential for pursuing a sound, profitable strategy. You need the latest information to stay...