David W. Sands, CVA
David Sands is a Director in the Boca Raton office.
Sands specializes in the valuation of complex compensation arrangements which may have Stark and/or Anti-Kickback implications, executive compensation consulting services and business valuation. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, he was a private investment manager with Wachovia Securities in Las Olas, Florida.
Sands currently possesses over 11 years of full-time healthcare consulting and valuation experience. During this time, he has gained exposure to every type of analysis that the Firm provides to clients, and has been instrumental in aiding the development of the Firm’s internal standards, FMV guidance and templates. He is a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) and holds a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance from Boston University’s School of Management. Sands is a Level II Candidate in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program.
- Compensation Valuation
- Executive Compensation & Governance
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- The Unintended Consequences of Taking the Escalator, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA, and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, November 10, 2020
- A Comprehensive Guide to Pathology Arrangements, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, August 6, 2020
- Management Services Arrangements – What’s in a Name?, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, July 2020
- FMV Documentation and Real Estate Compliance – Often Overlooked, but Never Undervalued, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Kristina Kheyfets, October 2019
- The Long Arm of the Law – Healthcare Fraud and the Travel Act, co-authored with William G. Kaufmann, JD/MBA and Fred M. Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Aug 15, 2019
- Excise Tax on Executive Compensation and How Much You End up Paying, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Understanding Reasonable Executive Compensation for Nonprofit Organizations, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA and Will Kaufmann, JD/MBA, February 2019.
- Webinar – Challenges of Hospital-Based Pathology Compensation Arrangements, hosted by The American Bar Association, co-presented with Jane Pine Wood, Esq., Chief Legal Counsel – BioReference Laboratories, Inc., June 28, 2018.
- Valuing Electronic Health Record System (“EHR”) Donation Arrangements, co-authored with Fred Lara, CFA, ASA, CVA, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., November 2016.
- Boston University School of Management, BSBA with a concentration in Finance
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts (NACVA)
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Series 7 Financial designation (inactive)
- Series 66 Financial designation (inactive)
Authors: Jim Carr, ASA, MBA and Andrew Worthington Download the PDF HOSPITAL-BASED CLINICAL COVERAGE ARRANGEMENTS Often, hospitals and health systems do not wish to incur the administrative burden involved in employing the clinical resources needed to cover their...
Authors: Nicholas A. Newsad, MHSA Download the PDF Updated February 9, 2021 for the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 The 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) final rule included recommendations by the Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC) to...
The FMV Impact on Physician Compensation: Physicians Utilizing Advance Practice Professionals in Global Surgery Settings
Authors: Barbara Landy, MBA, MHS, FACHE, NHA and Kevin Obletz, JD Download the PDF As the general population continues to outpace the number of practicing physicians in the United States, the way healthcare is delivered will continue to evolve to meet demand. One...
Mandated Hospital Disclosure of Negotiated Rates and Its Potential Impact on Fair Market Value (FMV) Analyses
Authors: Erica Jacobovits, JD, and Kevin Obletz, JD Download the PDF Healthcare spending in the United States has been consistently touted as disproportionately high when juxtaposed with certain healthcare outcome measures, including life expectancy and infant...
Authors: Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA, Matthew J. Muller, ASA, and Daniel I. Levin, CFA, ASA Download the PDF As with all sectors of healthcare, the lab industry has been dramatically impacted by COVID-19. In addition to COVID-19, the industry is dealing with reimbursement...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud sponsor for the 2021 DLA Piper Healthcare Leadership Conference. A roadmap to recovery and reimagining healthcare in a COVID-19 world. DLA Piper’s 2021 Healthcare Leadership Conference – The roadmap to recovery and reimagining...
Healthcare Appraisers is a proud sponsor for the 2021 HealthCare General Counsel Virtual Forum. For legal executives in healthcare, the stakes cannot be higher.Managing the legal function of hospitals and healthcare systems has never been easy. And today’s executives...
Healthcare Appraisers' Partner Andrea, M. Ferrari, JD, MPH will be speaking with Michael D. Bossenbroek, Senior Associate General Counsel at Beaumont Health. Looking Back and Looking Ahead at Physician Compensation COVID-19 disrupted health care in unfathomable ways,...
Mar 23 | Webinar: On-Call Coverage – Concepts & Compensation: An overview of call coverage and the variables affecting fair market value
A live webinar hosted by the American Association of Provider Compensation Professionals (AACPC) featuring HealthCare Appraisers' Partner, Adam S. Polsky, MBA, CVA, and Manager, Alex J. Houston, JD, CHC. Tuesday, March 23, 2021 11:00 a.m. EST (allow 60 min on...